Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco HG Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a shot of a few tappets. Left is roughest, right is smoothest.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Disco HG Repair-img_0453.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crows foot as mentioned before or maybe use a gear wrench on that bolt. Gear wrenches are one of the best tool investments i have ever made. On the lifters, are they flat or rounded on the edges? If they are rounded off they should probably be replaced.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The real gear wrench is great. It has a fine tooth ratchet built in, so it clicks with even the slightest range of motion plus is streamlined construction, do not waste your money on the cheap junk imitations that do not work well.

As far as the underbelly and such. The more you work on it the cleane it will become. But seriously, cover your nice garage floor with a thick drop cloth or tarp, throw rags down whatever, then spray lots of Dollar Store Mean Green straight everywhere that is accumulated drippings. Spray often and wear old disposable ragged sweatshirts, clothes your lady does not like and such. When they are nasty, throw them away.

A few gallons of degreaser later, it will be fine, and you can buy a new wardrobe. Lots of LR onwers eventually get coveralls or HazMat suits or just reserve your favorite old sweatshirt and jeans for it.

As far as you've already gone, your journey has only just begun, for the end will never come, untilly suddenly one day, but you'll never be done,
just gone on down the road ........................

Old 10-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

yep, back around post 21: I'd cover the project area with a cheap tarp so you don't leave a big trail.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench

The plan was to be very careful and catch all fluids in jugs... I should have listened

Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Ah, to be so young........... the old guys know that a hell of a mess lies just ahead.

It will drip worse than anything or anyone you have yet known...........

Be careful not to get any of her juices in your eyes or mouth!

When I first got mine and started cleaning the front crossbars, my know it all NTB expert son tried to tell me I was removing the factory applied lubrication for whatever that part was. I told him not to worry, there was a built in automatic dispenser right above it.. They do not want too much oil to stay in the motor, typical British Engineering........

And he couldn't believe how you got to the brake rotors to change them.

I try to keep him as far away from the Discovery as I possibly can.

Just get every bit of that accumulated gunk off every part that you possibly can.

I wonder if possibly laying microfiber handcloths all over it and soaking them in a good strong solvent might not be a good thing to do.

I like the fact that you removed the bonnetand all the stuff off the front for access. You do know that the wings also unbolt as well don't you? Then you could walk right up to it with it in place to work on it. It will be apart for a long time anyway, might as well be comfortable. Get you a nice roll around seat that you can adjust the height on. Put one of those dorm room size fridges out there for beer, maybe a microwave and stereo in the garage, you will be out there quite a bit......

Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

That garage is so small he has to go outside to change his mind....

Try telling she-who-must-be-obeyed that the "spare bedroom" is for spare parts....

Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Pro Wrench

It will drip worse than anything or anyone you have yet known...........
Even after I'm done replacing all the gaskets and hoses?

Just get every bit of that accumulated gunk off every part that you possibly can.
Ideally I'd put it on a lift and blast it with a pressure washer/degreaser. I do have access to a few lifts but I swear there must be 100lbs of gunk under there I doubt they'd want flying around their shop.

You do know that the wings also unbolt as well don't you?
Might have to do that

That garage is so small he has to go outside to change his mind....
It's a little better now after cleaning. I can actually walk around it without contorting myself.

Try telling she-who-must-be-obeyed that the "spare bedroom" is for spare parts....
The issue is usually using the dinner table as a work bench

Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 PM

The issue is usually using the dinner table as a work bench

I tore down my CDL shifter top box and linkage on our 80 year old Oak Dining table that my wife inherited from her Granny. I fixed it in the basement. Amongst dirty laundry and old furniture.

Now I finally cleaned out the garage, but my Discovery is too tall to get it in there.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Got the power steering pump, exhaust manifolds, and spark plugs off tonight.

PS Pump:
The RAVE is WRONG. Step 10 says "Remove 3 bolts securing steering pump." That is IMPOSSIBLE. Even if you did manage to get left side bolt loose(extremely difficult) it would still unthread only a couple mm before ramming into the side of the pump. The bottom one is nearly as difficult too.

The proper steps are:
1. Remove pulley wheel.
2. Remove 6 bolts (1 large) securing front mounting plate.
3. Remove 3 bolts securing pump.
4. Remove 2 remaining large bolts securing engine lifting bracket.

Exhaust manifold:

The left exhaust manifold is more difficult to remove because the bolts are tucked under the manifold, so a drive extension is needed. Unfortunately I broke a head off one of the bolts, probably because it was at the rear at an awkward angle with the extension. Should be easy to remove after I get the cylinder head off though.

Cylinder Heads:

I attempted to remove the cylinder heads too. I used a standard 3/8 drive breaker bar with a 16mm socket. It destroyed the socket. I was concerned it had rounded the bolt too but it appears fine. Holy **** those things are in there TIGHT! I'll try a 1/2 drive socket tomorrow instead. Would degreaser help it get a better grip too?

Quick Reply: 97 Disco HG Repair