Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 disco multiple codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 disco multiple codes

Hello I recently aquired a clean 97 disco. I have been searching forums for days with no luck. Here is my issue takes multiple cranks to start, intake backfire underload with no power. codes thrown P1179,P1177,P0300,P0303,P0308,P1316,P1314,P1313. any insight would be awesome it has new plugs wires fuel filter.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Attached please find code manual for this engine.

The crank position sensor controls when spark happens. When it begins to fail it can shift things. Fails 100% and no crank. Can also fail when engine hot, and return to normal when cool.

Be sure cam position sensor is plugged in (different than crank), engine can run without it but uses a default.

If you have a live data scanner you can look to see values changing on various sensors, like throttle position, etc.

The plug wiring may be arcing over, you can look in total darkness when at idle for any small lights that show up with the arcs around wires, plugs, boots, coils.

Running rich could be a number of things, even a dirty air filter. You could also clean the MAF sensor WHEN COLD with made-for-MAF spray. Very costly sensor.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
gems_obd.pdf (508.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
4th Gear

so I clean the maf still miss fire Ichanged fuel filter plugs wires still all same codes???

QUOTE=Savannah Buzz;422983]Attached please find code manual for this engine.

The crank position sensor controls when spark happens. When it begins to fail it can shift things. Fails 100% and no crank. Can also fail when engine hot, and return to normal when cool.

Be sure cam position sensor is plugged in (different than crank), engine can run without it but uses a default.

If you have a live data scanner you can look to see values changing on various sensors, like throttle position, etc.

The plug wiring may be arcing over, you can look in total darkness when at idle for any small lights that show up with the arcs around wires, plugs, boots, coils.

Running rich could be a number of things, even a dirty air filter. You could also clean the MAF sensor WHEN COLD with made-for-MAF spray. Very costly sensor.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
4th Gear

Update: so I unplugged the maf and it actually runs better so I guess that's the problem.

Originally Posted by deeplipceo
so I clean the maf still miss fire Ichanged fuel filter plugs wires still all same codes???

QUOTE=Savannah Buzz;422983]Attached please find code manual for this engine.

Running rich could be a number of things, even a dirty air filter. You could also clean the MAF sensor WHEN COLD with made-for-MAF spray. Very costly sensor.
[/QUOTE]

Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe... but you'll find that a new MAF sensor is pretty high. If you want to throw parts at it, consider one from the boneyard. Unplugging it could force the engine computer to run on some sort of fall back stored value and ignore more than one sensor. The MAF sensor does not impact timing, it changes the fuel/air mix. With a live data scanner you should be able to see a MAF sensor changing values.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
4th Gear

so I replaced o2 senosrs still misfire bad also replaced plugs and wires. I was doing real time data logging timing advance was between 30 and 50 degrees advanced. Thoughts what is causing this