Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 engine for 95

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM
HCF
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Let me say this I have got over the urge of putting the Gems into the 95 chassis ( thanks for saving me the pain ) that being said be fore I parked the 95 it was acting up .
Now should I just put that plow on one of my many D2s and wash my hands of D1s (probably not smart language on this forum ) My gut tells me that the D1 would make a smart little plow truck .
That being said I will put a battery in her and check the millage .
Second a timing light now I'm going back in time ( when I saw the distributor that is when this whole Idea came to be ) I do somewhere I have not used it since the early 90s ( all my other rigs are diesel )
I am trying to remember what the 95 did? it would run act like it was starving for fuel than stall .So If I am going to use it I will change the fuel filter charge a the battery and report in with better information .
Should I kill this thread and start a new one regarding the 95s issues ?
HCF

Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Nah, don't start a new thread, too much info to loose just yet. I'll bet the 95 just needs it's idle air control valve cleaned to stop the stalling. Very common problem.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:44 PM
HCF
Overlanding

Thank you , I will Rave up on it and check it out tomorrow and report in.

HCF

Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I would invest in a new fuel filter as the one on the truck probably hasn't been changed in a decade or more. I would also check to see what codes are being shown on the vehicle. There is a code reader for the EFI system under the passenger seat. It faces the passenger door and is visible when the black plastic seat trim concealing the seat frame is removed. It's black with red LED's that will show the code number(s). Start there in doing your diagnostics on the '95. Once you have the code(s) check out the information on what they might mean here:

Land Rover Troubleshooting: retrieving fault codes

If you're confused about what the numbers are telling you post them here and there are plenty of guys still running the 14CUX system that will be able to assist in the diagnostics.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by HCF
Paul the 97 has the pre advance round EVAP
I just went and cleared the snow off the car and took a peak . I'm sorry for my naïve attitude on these matters ,I have never done any real work on the D1s and the 95 I took off a friend ( he was done messing with it )
So If I was to use the 97 engine in a latter D1 there would be some change over of components ?
I really like my the bosch systems in my D2s and P-38 .
may I ask what you are partial to .
I'm thinking, mount the plow on one of my D2s and part out the D1s , what would you do?
I would think that if I were going to use a truck for plowing, I would want to use one that was the easiest to keep running. Hands down, the 14CUX system is easier to keep running. As far as other mechanic elements, I would go with a DI any day over a DII. So, I guess my preference for a Land Rover plow truck would be for a DI. In reality, my preference for a plow truck is a Ford F250.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Superduty all the way.......

Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM
HCF
Overlanding

You Guys are right ! I Have a 97 with a power stroke that I just need to reseal the oil cooler . and a nice heavy Fischer plow to set up on it .
Its just I got this neat little Blizzard plow (6' @ 300 pounds ) I thought it would be slick on a Disco . I really don't know because all I have ever plowed snowed with is my backhoe ( and when I get around to changing the liners on that all this will be mute )
So ... to many projects as you can see (and that's just combustion stuff )thankyou for talking me out of a silly swap !
I was thinking of putting the plow on one of my many D2s but If you recommend the D1 , I will get that 95 going . Did you say it was ODB if so can I pull codes if it does not start ?
HCF

reading back you do not use a ODB reader there is some kind of device under the pass. seat?

Last edited by HCF; 02-06-2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: My Ignorance