Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Discovery LE V8 4.0 fuel problem

Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Discovery LE V8 4.0 fuel problem

Ive been all over this Disco 1 and I don't want to give up on it because it's my first Land Rover lol.

Anyway I'm having intermittent fuel pump issues.
The engine will crank but no fire. I've checked spark also. All cylinders have good spark.
I turn the key on to the run position ready to crank and I hear no fuel pump. Then I leave it in that position and check voltage at my connector for the fuel pump on the purple and white wire. Supposed to be 12v. Nothing. I Trace the wire to the fuel relay aka multifunction relay under the hood on passenger side. I ordered a new relay...tried it and nothing.

So what would cause the relay to not send power to the fuel pump??

I've bypassed the interia switch. Butt connected it for good connection.

I'm not getting any anti theft light either. No red blinking light.

I've checked continuity from the ground/frame to the fuel pump connection ground and there is continuity between them so I know I have good ground.

I have no check engine lights. Since sometimes it runs good, I took a risk and drove it up to have it scanned anyway and nothing showed up...so no codes to go off of either:/

I actually found one code. Lol let me know what you think.

Keeping the battery good and charged from all the cranking!👍

12v purple/white wire. The green black and red connection is sending unit voltage and should be 5v (which it is) I've also read there is a pressure switch built into the top flange of the fuel pump assembly. True?

PLEASE HELP! I'm new!

Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

First check to see if the fuse is blow for the pump in the fuse box in the engine bay

There is a fuel relay in the side panel on the passenger footwell. It has a blue base check that relay

If that relay is good then check the pump connector on the frame rail behind driver rear tire.

The following users liked this post:
Austin Busby (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 12:28 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

On that picture it looks as you are missing the seal and the locking ring. With help test light/ or meter and the key in the second position check for power at the circled areas within the first 5 seconds during priming of the fuel pump for power and see where the problem is.

Last edited by Icannap1; 12-15-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:06 AM
4wd Low

I've checked power at the connecter. white and pink wire should have 12v when key is in second position (ready to crank). No power. The 98 model with the AES evap system (which I have) the fuel pump relay is located under the hood between the washer fluid reservoir and the evap box deal. The non advanced systems have the relay in the foot panel on the passenger side. But I could be wrong. I'm no land rover expert lol. Ill check for relays there also. Fuse for the pump is also good. I also checked the connector by the drivers side rear axel like you said. I cleaned with electronic high frequency cleaner. I have continuity from the pump connector (12v white/pink wire) all the way up to the pump relay under the hood. so I know any connector in between there is making good connection. My problem is that the relay isn't getting the signal to turn the pump on. once is receives the signal to turn the pump on...it does it fine. Ive tried 3 different relays. I have the cover off of one relay exposing so I can do some testing on that also. Any other ideas? I heard there is a fuel pump pressure switch build into the top flange of the fuel pump assembly.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 AM
4wd Low

It is. I put the lock ring back on and didn't make a difference. lol

Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Next to the washer fluid reservoir on the ECM there is three connectors unplug them all and check if it has any rust or signs of water ingress, clean the connectors with a dry toothbrush and pins make sure to blow off any debris and check that it is not missing any of the blanking plugs in the rear of the plug the side that has wires coming out of it, if it is not missing any blanking plugs then there should be no water or rust inside the connector, continue by connecting the plugs back into the ECM, make sure the connectors are not wet, also make sure that the connectors snap in all the way. I have seen when the plug near the firewall is not all the way in it will not allow it to start. Hopefully your that works for you give it a shot.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:03 PM
4wd Low
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Icannap1
Next to the washer fluid reservoir on the ECM there is three connectors unplug them all and check if it has any rust or signs of water ingress, clean the connectors with a dry toothbrush and pins make sure to blow off any debris and check that it is not missing any of the blanking plugs in the rear of the plug the side that has wires coming out of it, if it is not missing any blanking plugs then there should be no water or rust inside the connector, continue by connecting the plugs back into the ECM, make sure the connectors are not wet, also make sure that the connectors snap in all the way. I have seen when the plug near the firewall is not all the way in it will not allow it to start. Hopefully your that works for you give it a shot.

I will definitely check those connectors out. Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a whole new fuel pump assembly. that way I can rule out that dang pressure switch that's built in the top flange...Should be here by Wednesday. I will post again with I put it in and see what happens.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:12 PM
4wd Low
Default 98 Discovery 1 fuel pump

Originally Posted by Austin Busby
I will definitely check those connectors out. Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a whole new fuel pump assembly. that way I can rule out that dang pressure switch that's built in the top flange...Should be here by Wednesday. I will post again with I put it in and see what happens.

The problem ended up being the fuel pump! Thanks for your input guys