Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

AB Request for Group Discount

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default this is off track now...

wow... there must be something in the air. I see a tonne (<---limey speak) of agression lately and comments taken badly and blown out of proportion.

Danny, Love ya man but come on now...."BS"..."they don't care"... "F" them? how did it get to that stage after only one (public) response from them? Maybe there was more PM correspondence we aren't privy to but that seems harsh... Hey Brandon, quit pissing off the rednecks.

The lead time they are talking about is based on their ability to purchase a certain item (our group buy requested item) in a larger quantity than usual. This guarantee by us to purchase said item will help them secure a better price from THEIR supplier. That takes time.

Here's an example, that Rovers North special they ran last year... Free shipping for orders over $200 was great for us and as has been mentioned, I actually would order more parts at a time just to get that deal. For them is was a major loss financially. It is gone and most likely won't be back. And as for them not playing in this sandbox... they have their own Forum in which they are very active with solutions and sales... Talking about you Les!

Yes, I can name about 10 ROVER specific suppliers, and they all have deals now and then based on their willingness to extend themselves (financially) on certain items or because of overstock / seasonal items.
But the mob rule attitude surely doesn't make any friends when we demand blanket discounts and start cursing them publicly when our demands aren't met immediately.

I sugest we pick an item and ask ANY parts house for a group deal... It is a risk for them too. What if they order an extra 30 radiators for a specific MY and half of us flake out???

As Rodney King said...." can't we all just get along?"

I think I need to buy Danny a bottle of Scotch...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought AB's response was very professional. They already offer pretty competitive prices, and didn't flat out say no. I'm not sure what you expect?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I see no problem with AB's response, big decisions take time.
If you have ever worked in sales it is a huge deal to make a small change.
When I sold engine coolant I lost out on a HUGE sale because I had to have my branch manager call corporate headquarters to get a additional 5% off of the price I had already quoted them.
It would have been no less than 100 gal of coolant a month, I had negotiated with them already and gave them a 15% discount, they wanted 20% and in returned guaranteed me 2 drums of coolant a month with the possibly of 5 drums per month.
Long story short, could have been a huge sale for me, gotten the company in the door with tons of other possible sales/services to be had down the road.

Democracy takes time to work.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I, too, want an extra discount.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Brandon, I'll reiterate for you.

1.Any group, if they act in concert has purchasing power as a group that an individual does not have. I was merely attempting to harness that power for all of "US".

2. I suggested that everyone contact them, I do not know how many members this forum has, it fluctuates significantly. And I do not know how many people did take the time to IM them.

3. We all have the potentail to make rather significant purchases as a typical buy for anything major can be hundreds of dollars. So this could be quite a difference in monthly sales if all of us are throwing our buys to the same vendor. If I were selling Rover parts, that would draw my attention.

4. Several of you talked about group buy vs group discount, These are two distictly different aspects. I was hoping for a flat discount sort of like AAA or AARP membership gets you at lots of places. A group purchase would be if a min number of people all wanted to buy something significant like a winch and bumper combo, which they should offer as well if they were wanting to increase their business.

5. i have lots of free time and was offering to coordinate this for the group, however, people like you tell me SWOT sucks and so forth. Why attack me for my efforts dude? What have you offered to do?

They were the first one I was suggesting and that was because they took the move to join.

I was truly put off by the arrogance of their reply, that no matter how many request they got basically they were not making much effort to respond, especially not timely.

If you want to deal with them go ahead. I choose not to and that is all I have to say on that subject. if you cannot offer any better input than "IT SUCKS" then that is exactly how I feel about your response as well and will not continue a battle of wits with an obviously unarmed opponent.
Um...thanks for the extra explanation? Sorry for offending you, do not take any of my questioning personal.
1. Got it, totally understand purchasing power, only questioned how much power you think a small forum group has with a large company like AB.
2. Kudos, this is what you should do and did.
3. Again, not sure how much significance this would have. Many of the posters here already given them their business and will continue to, but a valid point.
4. Ok
5. You misunderstood me. SWOT does not suck, it can be very helpful. I was questioning your use of SWOT for AB's benefit in this case. You started off looking to create an Opportunity (swOt) for AB - awesome, but then quickly turned into a Threat for AB (swoT) - not so awesome, hoping you could manipulate them by force.

So you didn't buy their reply, which is fine, but you then jump to conclusions that they just don't care, or that you know that they CAN simply give the green light AND it will make them money and future business. You just don't know the answer to any of these questions for AB.

Again, I am ALL FOR an extra discount, as I have a shopping cart full with them right now myself and would love to pull the trigger. I just hate to see you get all feisty and quit because of one professional response just because you don't understand it or believe it.

If you asked me, I would try and put together something concrete for them. Because at this point, we are asking for a guaranteed discount when they have no guarantee of profits or business. If they just give us 15% off and we use it on nickel and dime parts and products where they have little to no margin, they lose.

To get them or ANY rover company to buy in, we have to find a win-win situation, because only guaranteeing a customer isn't enough when they have to make money to stay in business.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by demonlarry
that's who I use!!
Yah but have you actually seen what they charge in shipping? I almost ordered a sunroof bolt assembly. Yah that little on with the flashing on the outside to keep the rain out. No more than a few oz's; the part was $20.00, they wanted to charge $16+ for standard shipping, sorry but RN just isn't worth it when I can get it cheaper at the dealership. Go figure.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea there shipping IS rediculous and the main reason I usually end up not buying stuff from rhem

Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Yea there shipping IS rediculous and the main reason I usually end up not buying stuff from rhem
Good, I'm glad someone agrees with me, thought I was alone.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I ordered from RN once and got raped on shipping, sorry, not going to happen unless they are the only place that has what I need.
AB gives you options, I like options.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aa 10 or 15 percent discount or free shipping is what most venders give other forums.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Winching

So here's RL's answer after I asked why shipping was so much for the sunroof screw assembly. Guess I won't be using them ever.

These are in our computer as 2 oz.......fedex rounds that off to 1 LB........not sure where you are......i just entered a seattle zip code which would be the furthest point from tampa.
that came out $15.
since these are the smallest thing we sell and shipping is ridiculous, we always add an
extra one to the order.
our regular customers realize we are fair and compassionate. you probably would be
better served by the dealer. good luck getting compassion from them though.

Parts Dept

Roverland Parts, Inc

Quick Reply: AB Request for Group Discount