Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
I am sure there are a handful of forum members on here that have heard the spine tingling, out of tune banjo sound as they stand on there brake pedal. I will always remember it as that horrible sound that means stopping is not currently an option!
Had the EXACT thing happen to me with my FAMILY in the truck with me! Thank the Good Lord that the intersection I blew through was in a residential area and nobody was coming.
That one time was enough for me to look this up ASAFP and jerked the fuse - been rolling happy even since! This was the first "mod/repair" that I did to this Rover. Have played with reading the codes and correcting, but as all others here have testified, 10 miles later - its something else.

There should be a recall!

Thanks again for the excellent advice!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ABS seems to work fine in slippery conditions like snow, however, I cannot get it to kick in on clean dry roads and stopping quickly takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of pedal force. I assume the ABS is functioning properly because it won't kick in unless the sensors detect skidding? The brake pads were replaced a few thousand miles ago, and I was hoping they would improve, but now I think they are just crap. Anybody else have trouble stopping their D1 whose ABS seems to work fine?

BTW, I recall reading in a major auto magazine like R&T about 14 years ago a test they performed when ABS became mandated. In it they documented that good drivers with decent reflexes in most conditions and situations can outperform ABS brakes. That means ABS is mandatory for my mother.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jigray3

BTW, I recall reading in a major auto magazine like R&T about 14 years ago a test they performed when ABS became mandated. In it they documented that good drivers with decent reflexes in most conditions and situations can outperform ABS brakes. That means ABS is mandatory for my mother.
EXACTLY!!!
I can stop shorter with no ABS than with 90% of the time.