Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS light on, brakes are fine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default ABS light on, brakes are fine...

I bought this 96 and the ABS light was on. Brakes working fine. occasionally I start the car and the ABS light is not on, this is where the problem lies. When the light is not on I get a crunchy springy noise and barely any braking power.

Or worse, no noise and no brakes at all. Today I didn't realize the light was out and had to pull the e brake and slide sideways into an intersection.

Anybody have a direct diagnosis, or do I need to get an ABS code reader on the job.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Baja

Also, I pulled the 30 amp fuse under the hood for the time being, I believe it was labeled ABS valve. Do I ned to pull the block fuse that is labeled ABS pump? I'm trying not to kill anybody before I get the ABS fixed...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Double check the fuse you pulled, ABS PUMP is the one you want pulled.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Baja

Thanks, just got out of bed and did it. I was told my problems lie with the sensors at the wheels. Going to raid the parts car today and see if it is the cause.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure your brakes are working without the ABS ? I mean, if you pulled the fuse and they still stink, you might need a master cylinder. (OEM, not after market)

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Baja

Just checked, brakes are working fine without the ABS. I am going to go through the whole system this weekend as I just picked up some defender rotors and calipers that I need to install.

With two discoveries the fun never ends, thankfully I have a parts car as well.

Abran

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling

did you ever figure this out? mine does same thing.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Baja

Spoke with a land rover mechanic and he told me that it is the speed sensors at the wheels.

If you look, there is a wire that goes to each hub, just pull on the head of the connector that the wire goes to and a speed sensor will come out(I have to use pliers on a few). The rear ones merge together in a harness and clip just above the rear axle, the front ones are separate and clip up in the engine compartment, follow the wires back and you will find the clips. I have read that you don't want to cut the wires and there is shielding and all kinds of other stuff going on. So if you replace the rear, you will have to do both as they are tied into each other.

The mechanic told me that they are expensive and it was better to use some used ones form the junkyard. I have a parts car so I pulled all 4 and went and got 4 more from the JY(cost was approx 10 a piece).

I am going to go and rent a code reader for the ABS light(I will have to re-attach the fuse for the ABS pump) then it should tell me what wheel has the sensor problem.

In the meantime, for safety sake, I removed the fuse for the ABS pump under the hood(the box type with 2 screws, the mechanic said this would disable the ABS).

Once I get the codes read, I will update the thread.

One question: Once I identify the faulty ABS speed sensor and replace, will the light automatically go off? Or do I have to clear the code? Im not sure that the one I will be replacing is good, so wanted to know if it will clear based on it being good, or if I need to clear the code, then test the brakes and see if it throws the code again.

Thank you.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Talking

You don't need a code reader to read the ABS codes. There is something called the blink test where you short a couple of slots in the OBDII port and watch the light blink. Check out this thread -

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...g-light-58921/

Or do a search on ABS blink test.
There's a lot of info on this that is helpful.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Baja

Thank you Jim, looks pretty straight forward. I will try it as soon as I have time.

Quick Reply: ABS light on, brakes are fine...