Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Agian.... I love my rover.. Spare tire on hood and trip to yellowwood state forest

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have ridden in a few SII and one Defender. I did not like the obstructed view around or over the spare. I like the really old school look like the Dusenburg, Packards and some of the other ones where the spare was mounted on the running boards along the side of the car.

There was even one that you supposedly did not need to jack the car up, you could mount the spare without the need to jack the car up.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:56 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a calling to buy a Discovery for to long and in a couple of months it will be happening said he fingers crossed AGAIN.
I need a biggerar family car and a good towing and long distance travelling vehicle (expedition tanks in the future).
This posting has caught my eye as I was thinking of having front and rear spare wheels, a bit like a double skinned condom realy playing it safe on the long runs around the country, also saves time waiting of breakdown trucks if your spare wheel does faulter.
As its been mention about the back door hinges and the spare wheel frame work both points have been noted, do you think the front bonnet will need any re-inforcement to strenghten it and will it need gas struts to hold the extra weight of the wheel. I'm just thinking aloud here but what would you guys suggest being the owners of the Discovery.
I want to fabricate new front and rear bumpers to accomodate a better tow-hitch and front towing eyes, doing this will allow me to make a frame for the spare wheel as well. I will try and get details of tried and tested spare wheel brackets to copy, its a bit of cheating but if it makes a better job work better I'm all for it.
sorry for the waffling.
ALAN
Sheffield S25 4EQ

Old 09-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I sincery dought that the hood of your discovery will hold the weight of a tire and wheel jmho

Originally Posted by jimmy62alan
I have had a calling to buy a Discovery for to long and in a couple of months it will be happening said he fingers crossed AGAIN.
I need a biggerar family car and a good towing and long distance travelling vehicle (expedition tanks in the future).
This posting has caught my eye as I was thinking of having front and rear spare wheels, a bit like a double skinned condom realy playing it safe on the long runs around the country, also saves time waiting of breakdown trucks if your spare wheel does faulter.
As its been mention about the back door hinges and the spare wheel frame work both points have been noted, do you think the front bonnet will need any re-inforcement to strenghten it and will it need gas struts to hold the extra weight of the wheel. I'm just thinking aloud here but what would you guys suggest being the owners of the Discovery.
I want to fabricate new front and rear bumpers to accomodate a better tow-hitch and front towing eyes, doing this will allow me to make a frame for the spare wheel as well. I will try and get details of tried and tested spare wheel brackets to copy, its a bit of cheating but if it makes a better job work better I'm all for it.
sorry for the waffling.
ALAN
Sheffield S25 4EQ

Old 09-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Crazy my threads still get updated.
I have since owned.......
06 LR3
99 RANGE ROVER
03 DISVOVERY
2001 RANGE ROVER (BAD *** LIFTED AMD BUILT MY OWN STEEL BUMPER BUT TOTALED IT)
99RANGE ROVER
08 SUPERCHARGED RANGE ROVER SPORT.

Can't break this addiction and I'm only 26