Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Anti Lock light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you disable the anti lock brakes

Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go under the hood and find the big fuse called "ABS Pump" (I think that's it, just check the box of fuses and find something to do with ABS) then pull it out. For extra protection I guess you could pull the one under the steering wheel too. Just do it, it's way better than having that crappy ABS system that almost killed me every time I went up or down my driveway entrance.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Overlanding

ANyone familiar with the Virginia Inspection in relation to pulling the fuses? I want to pull the fuses and disable the system and make that annoying light on the dash go out but wonder if that is going to screw anything up come inspection time. Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you pull the fuse the light comes on, then you just pull the bulb. There is a thread somewhere. Try searching "How to kill your ABS light"

EDIT:

I hyperlinked it for you

Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling

I live in Virginia and I pulled the bulb. Unfortunately, the inspector was watching for the idiot lights to come on when the key is turned on and he caught me. You might get away with it though. I ended up replacing the rear speed sensors and harness with a used one off of fleabay (they are usually sold as a pair - at least the rear ones). I found where the problem was with the blink method (earlier post) and checked the sensor resistances with a multimeter. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for all the input! I spent the morning out messing with things under the dash and came up with some good info I think. I ended up with a 2-6 code. (I did the flash method) So I apparently have a bad break switch. The one concern I have is that the switch is new. It went bad a few weeks back and I ordered a new one from Atlantic British. The new switch works great (releases the transmission and break lights work fine). I figured maybe I just need to reset the code so I pulled the jumper like the instructions said while it was mid code. waited for the light to go solid then turn off the ignition. I start the LR and the light is still on. I have done the procedure about 12 times thinking maybe there were multiple versions of the same code stored.... but then I wonder how many times I would have to reset it (I bought the LR with the light on)

So anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Rock Crawling

You know the ABS light will stay on until you drive a few feet. Like getting up to 5 mph or so, then it should go off.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbriggs
After you seat them reset your light by using the blink method. See attatched. It says 1996 but will work for yours and you don't have to pay the dealer to reset the light for you. Then drive it and see if the light comes back. If it does you can figure out which sensor it is using the blink method. You have to jumper the pins on your OBD 2 connector that is mounted under the dash. It's easy and doesn't cost anything.

Can anyone tell me if this "blink" procedure will work with a '99 Series 1?
and when jumpering 5 & 15 at the data-link connector; do I count clockwise from top-left?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Maytag
Can anyone tell me if this "blink" procedure will work with a '99 Series 1?
and when jumpering 5 & 15 at the data-link connector; do I count clockwise from top-left?
It should work. Try doing it both ways but i think it is reversed when its mounted in the dash so you start counting from the bottom right and go back. Its been a long time since I've done it. If it doesnt work the one way try it counting the other way.