Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Better Gas Mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's just kinda over thinking it. The power of a magnet can easily stop the weight of a paper cone. If your putting ALOT of power into a speaker it may take ALOT of power to stop it because increasing power increases excursion or Xmax. If your don have slot of power going a speaker it won't take spot to stop.

Also I used to have a 2x10 and a gk1001rb I hated it. Again I simply don't like the sound of speakers being pushed.

Also funny thing is ALOT of people find you have to push the gallien kruegers go get their growl, and end up downgrading from a 1001 to a 700 or 700 to 400'

Im not arguing I love talking about bass stuff. And god knows I'm not right about Everything. I still don't get along with talkbass.com because there into all this new age stuff about speaker size doesn't matter. A 15 isn't slower a 10'isnt quicker and a 15 doesn't sound deeper.that's cool and all but I can't help wha I hear and it's the bigger speakers sound slower (not a bad thing) and seem to have more lows. But they say science proves me wrong. I say a bigger speaker has more mass and by the lass of physics it takes more resistance to stop the higher mass or just a longer period of time.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
That's just kinda over thinking it. The power of a magnet can easily stop the weight of a paper cone. If your putting ALOT of power into a speaker it may take ALOT of power to stop it because increasing power increases excursion or Xmax. If your don have slot of power going a speaker it won't take spot to stop.

Also I used to have a 2x10 and a gk1001rb I hated it. Again I simply don't like the sound of speakers being pushed.

Also funny thing is ALOT of people find you have to push the gallien kruegers go get their growl, and end up downgrading from a 1001 to a 700 or 700 to 400'

Im not arguing I love talking about bass stuff. And god knows I'm not right about Everything. I still don't get along with talkbass.com because there into all this new age stuff about speaker size doesn't matter. A 15 isn't slower a 10'isnt quicker and a 15 doesn't sound deeper.that's cool and all but I can't help wha I hear and it's the bigger speakers sound slower (not a bad thing) and seem to have more lows. But they say science proves me wrong. I say a bigger speaker has more mass and by the lass of physics it takes more resistance to stop the higher mass or just a longer period of time.
Agreed. If it wasn't the case, why are subs always bigger than the other speakers? If you want a lot of low end in your sound, get a 1X15 or a 1X18 bass cab. But I found out that even with small speakers large cabs such as the 8X10 can generate massive low end. I used to run my SVT flat when I was playing with my Rick, and I cutted right through my bandmates' Mesas. I'm definitely not in new stuff like, as you said, speaker sizes and watts don't matter. I don't believe someone can do a live gig in a bar with a 60W solid state amp (no matter the price and quality of the amp, unless you play really smooth stuff) without sounding like crap. The problem being the amp is overdriven and the speakers are overdriven. When you start overdriving you speakers you might need to upgrade IMO, and you risk damaging them. I used to have Yorkville 4X10 and 1X15 with my Mark VIII and I was constantly overdriving the speakers, because the head was too powerful for the cabs even though the cabs ratings were above the rating of the head. Sold the full stack for 800$ and got my SVT.

I tried a GK when I started playing bass, liked it at the moment but I can't say if I would still be owning one if I bought it. The choice of the amp depends on the taste of the player and the bass he plays. I was able to get an incredible hard rock/metal sound with a Rickenbacker and a SVT classic. But maybe if I owned a Musicman my choice of amp wouldn't have been the same. And if you want it to be louder, buy a bigger amp. My SVT has to be cranked at least halfway to get its sound quality, like any all tube amp. But I think some choices always come back, some brands are better matched with passive bass and some with active bass.

Just like Marshall has been the sound of rock for the past 50 years. You can't argue with the classics.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree it is easier to get low end from a larger speaker, it takes more smaller speakers to get that same sound, and I do have a 700RB 2x10 combo. The problem I had with my full stack was I never could have it loud enough to get the quality of sound, when I was playing gigs with my band it was fine, but it was religated to the churh where I was running into the pa anyway and was just too much amp for the job. I like a punchier sound and like to do finger taps and stuff like that and the gallien is super crisp, which is the opposite of a tube amp, I guess its all in what you are doing with it.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Back on subject Ill let yall know tomorrow wether or not this mod still has a chance!

Its nothing big at all, and when/if yall see it will probably hate it.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Pro Wrench

mod still has a chance but its looking less than what I was hoping for. I think only true MPG tests will prove this one.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
mod still has a chance but its looking less than what I was hoping for. I think only true MPG tests will prove this one.
Scan Guage numbers aren't as good as I was hoping, but tank level is showing to be VERY similar to my 19MPG DRIVE TO texas, even with going through 30m of stop and go traffic every day.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...3 pages of blah on non rover topics and no answer to what this "mod" is..tsk tsk...lol

Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by iownme
wow...3 pages of blah on non rover topics and no answer to what this "mod" is..tsk tsk...lol
I started another thread its up here somewhere.