Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bilstein Front & Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Front & Rear Shocks

Hey fellow Rover folk, second time posting here. I've been really happy owning a disco as my first car for the last 8 months, I knew it was going to be a challenge to keep it nice and spiffy and things were going to break over time, but its worth it.
Not long ago (about a month) I replaced the coils myself, seeing as everytime I was sitting at a stop light and somebody passed me, the whole car shook like it was on a trampoline. The difference has been just okay but I know it can be better, my question
to all you experts is about your experience with the Bilstein front and rear shocks package. Specifically part numbers 24-188302 and 24-188296, does it give the car any kind of lift? I really want to keep my disco as close to OEM as possible but performing
more like a modern car. And just in case, the coils I put in were these. The car is sitting just a little higher in the front right now, but that's okay because I'm trying to find the OEM chrome brush on a donor, so things will level out I hope.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

In my experience with aftermarket Bilsteins (I have 4 cars with them), it is the spring that determines ride height and not the shock. Some of my cars have adjustable rear spring perches but again, it is the length of the spring that lifts the body off the unsprung suspension components. The shock's travel should be matched to the spring height so that you're not bottoming out or overextending the pistons and damaging the seals. All that said, I think Bilstein makes excellent shocks however I don't have any experience with their Land Rover offerings. They can certainly do custom valving but some of the companies out there who specialize in lifted and non-lifted Rover suspensions are possibly as good if not better than Bilsteins.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, I'd like something high end that will last a long time, I'll do some research now that I know that the coils set the height.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by ConstructionBoy
Good to know, I'd like something high end that will last a long time, I'll do some research now that I know that the coils set the height.
I've used the basic Bilstein 4600 series shocks many times on DI's and RRC's. The performance is spot on and they last a hell of a long time.
Just a heads up, as you know now shocks provide zero lift but the ride is firm with a Bilstein Shock.
But IMHO, that's how a performance shock should handle.

Last edited by OverRover; 02-11-2019 at 11:07 PM.