Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

blower motor wierdness

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default blower motor wierdness

Howdy Cats and Kittens

Got a strange blower thing going on.

No power at motor plug. Switch is good. Pulled and checked every fuse and link in the truck, all good. Fuse block appears to have power.

HOWEVER

When in key position II, if the snowflake button is pushed and lit, as you cycle through the switch positions the AC FAN in front of the radiator behaves like the interior blower should. Let me repeat that. The fan in the engine compartment turns on, and increases in speed as you move the blower switch from low to hi. WTF? (AC circuit is open to atmosphere and has been for years. It will never function on this truck again, so I don't care about whether the fan works or not)

I'm gonna try to run a new hot to the fat white wire on the plug going to the blower motor. I hate electricity.

Is this turd like other British turds in that the ground has the switch on it? I hope so, that makes this easier. I think.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Last edited by geek_IM; 11-25-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: bad spellur
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got a weird thing with my blower motor too. my rear windows stopped working and at the same time my blower motor quit working. now when i push the rear window buttons the fan by the radiator comes on. I hate electric too. I tried replacing my blower motor resistor but that didn't do anything. Don't know what to say other than good luck.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Me thinks you have a bad relay. The two circuits, AC fans and blower motor share the same paths through the ignition load relay K127 (RH kick panel). You might be back feeding the AC fans through it with the AC button. Kind of a cool feature you've invented there.....

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (11-26-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Me thinks you have a bad relay. The two circuits, AC fans and blower motor share the same paths through the ignition load relay K127 (RH kick panel). You might be back feeding the AC fans through it with the AC button. Kind of a cool feature you've invented there.....
Hey! ihscouts! You know I was trolling for you...

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to investigate now.

Mr. umm, harambe whatever while I find your name dated and mildly offensive I won't hold that against you.

ihscouts has provided valuable information to us.

K127 is the relay next to the gas pedal closest to the firewall. That seems to control a lot of stuff. There is a second relay, k192, that is up a little higher on the passenger side, directly to the left of the blower motor box assembly. It only controls the blower motor.

I'm going to dig in now. Do a search on landy.ee and manuals electric, thats where I found a 1997 electrical troubleshooting manual, which is getting harder and harder to find these days.

goodness, I'm sooo lazy these days.ugh.

here's a link if you are still reading:
http://www.landy.ee/manuals/electric...%281997%29.pdf

too lazy to look? I'll post images later.

pic of k192 is on page 406
pic of k127 is on page 421

lets hope I have heat before the nfl gets rolling today

Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Geek, you'll figure it out.

In the meantime, nearly all the manuals you could ever want for pre-2000 Land Rovers can be found in link in my signature. Help yourself to whatever you like.

geek_IM (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Geek, you'll figure it out.

In the meantime, nearly all the manuals you could ever want for pre-2000 Land Rovers can be found in link in my signature. Help yourself to whatever you like.
Hey Brother

Ha! Had an eye out for that parts manual for some time now. Nice!

Where you at in NYC? I went to Cooper Union and lived there for ten years. My oldest kid was born at Columbia Presbyterian.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find out what caused this? I just did a search on the forum and found your post. Here's what happened to me, while working on my daughters '97 Disco 1.

Her rear windows won't work. Tested the switches they are fine. It's the circuit. So I bought the Atlantic British Window Lift ECU Repair Kit. Put it in, and everything went to hell. Backtracked, uninstalled everything - still all kinds of issues - including the KEY SPINNING in the tumbler! So I figured out this was an ignition switch issue causing everything not to work - and not the install I did. It just happened at the same time.

So I checked the key spinning in the tumbler - and the WHOLE TUMBLER pulls out and springs shoot everywhere. I spend the next 4.5 hours figuring out how to reassemble the whole thing, and in the process locate the brass pin that held the tumbler in the ignition switch - it had simply fallen out during my daughter turning the key for me to check the rear window install. The brass pin holds the entire tumbler assembly in place like a friction lock with rear spring pressure.

Anyhow, I get the whole thing put back together - and everything is fine - except I have exactly the problem you had! My AC/Heater blower fan doesn't work, but the fan switch activates the radiator electric fan!

Again, I didn't mess with any wiring harness - I was simply tapping into wires, and put everything back the way it was. All fuses are fine. I'm hoping you can tell me how you fixed your issue?
Murphy Peoples

Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling

I haven't had time to mess with it. I'm not really worried about my rear windows in the winter, but it would be nice if the blower worked. I still have heat coming through the vents but just no blower. It looks like the previous owner did the AB ECU repair kit as well. I hope to get some time off around the holidays so I can look into it. Sorry to hear about your ignition, sounds like a nightmare. Good luck

Old 03-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Finally fixed my blower motor problem. The PO had installed an AB ecu repair kit that reroutes the power for the rear windows to condenser fan relay. I disconnected that and put in a new (used) window lift ecu. Now my blower motor works on all speeds and all my windows go up and down. I never thought (and maybe Im wrong) that the window lift ecu could have anything to do with the blower motor. Anyway Im so happy thats over with.

JUKE179r (03-07-2018)