Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Pedal Goes to Floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you hear any whooshing/air sound at the brake pedal when you apply them? I had the whoosh/air sound, just slightly down there.

I just replaced my MC and brake booster and good lord, I finally have brakes in my jacked up truck.

Good tip on the above re: passenger side needing attention. I noticed after doing my brakes a slight pull to the left, so I'll hit the passenger side caliper again.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

"Do you hear any whooshing/air sound at the brake pedal when you apply them? I had the whoosh/air sound, just slightly down there. "
I have heard that sound since I got my truck at 62k - now at 108k sounds the same.
How could you tell the booster was bad?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
"Do you hear any whooshing/air sound at the brake pedal when you apply them? I had the whoosh/air sound, just slightly down there. "
I have heard that sound since I got my truck at 62k - now at 108k sounds the same.
How could you tell the booster was bad?
Well my new one doesn't make any whooshing/air sounds

I did a combined MC and Brake Booster replace so it could have been either.

ETA: I forgot that the brakes always felt - bad - can't explain it. I know a few times when cold and backing out of my driveway (which is on a hill) it took everything I had to press the brakes in and get them to actually stop the truck.

Last edited by AbnMike; 07-18-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AbnMike
Well my new one doesn't make any whooshing/air sounds

I did a combined MC and Brake Booster replace so it could have been either.

ETA: I forgot that the brakes always felt - bad - can't explain it. I know a few times when cold and backing out of my driveway (which is on a hill) it took everything I had to press the brakes in and get them to actually stop the truck.
you got me thinking- yeah they've always been mushy never really felt confident with them -

some good info:
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/br...operation.html

Last edited by whiskeynipple0088; 07-18-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

you got me thinking- yeah they've always been mushy never really felt confident with them -

some good info:
Vacuum Brake Booster Problems Operation Diagnosis
I do hear a whooshing sound when applying the brake. But my D2 made the same sound so I never really thought much of it.

When to bleed the brakes again today. And now I see that there is no fluid coming out of the rear lines. Caliper pistons seem to move freely but. I disconnected the lines at the calipers and pressed the pedal to see if anything came out of them. Nothing came out and the pedal was hard as a rock.

I did hear somewhere that the pressure restricting valve would cut off fluid flow to a line requiring too much fluid (i.e. a leak). Not sure if that's true or not.
All my lines seem fine and being a California truck I doubt there's any line that rusted out.

What should I do now?

Edit: I cracked open the lines going to the back at the ABS pump and same thing, hard pedal, no fluid coming out. Wondering if I disconnect the battery would fluid come out? I'm thinking that maybe something is going on inside the pump blocking fluid from coming out?

I did the same thing yesterday and got brake fluid coming out so fast that I got sprayed in the face so I'm not sure why that's not happening now.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 07-18-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

"I did hear somewhere that the pressure restricting valve would cut off fluid flow to a line requiring too much fluid (i.e. a leak). Not sure if that's true or not."
This did NOT happen when my lines failed.
my guess is to start looking up the signs of a bad proportioning valve?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

"I did hear somewhere that the pressure restricting valve would cut off fluid flow to a line requiring too much fluid (i.e. a leak). Not sure if that's true or not."
This did NOT happen when my lines failed.
my guess is to start looking up the signs of a bad proportioning valve?
I opened up this line from the proportioning valve and nothing came out (coming in the side of the ABS pump). The rest of the lines going into/ coming out of the valve had fluid come out when the brakes were applied.

Is is there a way to adjust the valve?
Or reset it?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So here is where I am right now

Front brakes work. Rear brakes do not.

The rear calipers do not get any fluid after the proportioning valve. The new master does get fluid to the valve.

I found this thread on a defender forum: Poor braking - Defender Source

OP complains about a similar problem to mine about his D90; the rear brakes don't work and cannot be bled.

At the end, the OP mentions that he adjusted the valve. But is a little unclear on how exactly. So does anyone know how? I am convinced that this is the issue as everything else seems to operate as designed.

Thanks again.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Rock Crawling

ugh I hate when people leave out the most needed detail.
I do not know if or how it could be adjusted.
so if you have nothing coming in to the abs from the P valve,......you may have found your gremlin -

when I did my brakes the rears bleed like every other car Ive worked on and I know mine was working b/c I could hear the metal on metal when braking - hence why I was doing the brakes

Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ugh I hate when people leave out the most needed detail.
I do not know if or how it could be adjusted.
so if you have nothing coming in to the abs from the P valve,......you may have found your gremlin -

when I did my brakes the rears bleed like every other car Ive worked on and I know mine was working b/c I could hear the metal on metal when braking - hence why I was doing the brakes
Yeah I'm pretty sure I have a bad proportioning valve. I took the existing one off the truck and tried to adjust it. I couldn't figure out how, so I just bought another from Lucky8. Might as well considering the truck is 19 years old. Another $130......

It should come in this friday so hopefully I will have a working brake system by then.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Goes to Floor