Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

brakes too much -

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen multiple write ups from several different people who either went to a local discount parts chain or ordered from one of thousands of internet "experts" who have no first hand knowledge of a Discovery One other than keying the data into a system and seeing what pops up.

Caveat Empor I believe is what was said long long ago far far away.

I at least look at Rovers North first for a baseline of what the system is, what they have and their price. I know if I buy from them they have excellent availability and quick shipping as well as the correct item and they know the answers to your questions.

If the prices look high, look at the others and see what they have. At least you have a baseline and the exploded diagrams help you see what all is there. I prefer that over Autozone or another other mass distributor of off-shore goods.

Live, laugh, learn, and love just do not fall in love with the Green Oval.

Dance around a fire, eat good meat, drink good liquor.........and do not forget the music and native girls.........

Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ssparrow
the connection between the reservoir and the master had a very bad leak - no fluid got into the booster. The brakes actually worked great but the constant flow of brake fluid was the issue.

Are you sure it was the true cause and only problem?

How would that make master lock up?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Are you sure it was the true cause and only problem?

How would that make master lock up?
The aftermarket unit is not 100% the same as the original - where it fits into the booster is not the same - i think that is causing the issue -

Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Well time will tell, best of luck.....

Don't be too quick to think, "well I fixed that".

To me, the issues you identified :

The aftermarket unit is not 100% the same as the original -
where it fits into the booster is not the same

would make me hesitant to even install it.

The three primary factors to me are: 1. Form 2. Fit 3. Function

The wrong form or fit usually affects functionality, or that is what I learned in thirty years of various Enginnering work, but that was only on defense missiles and aircraft and space hardware, but what the heck!

Afterall you may be right.........

Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Drifting

I got mine ordered from Atlantic British, should be here in a couple days. Is there any particular brake fluid that I should be using? Salesman with AB said castrol semi-synthetic dot 4, and said not to use any petroleum based brake fluid as it while damage seals.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Well time will tell, best of luck.....

Don't be too quick to think, "well I fixed that".

To me, the issues you identified :

The aftermarket unit is not 100% the same as the original -
where it fits into the booster is not the same

would make me hesitant to even install it.

The three primary factors to me are: 1. Form 2. Fit 3. Function

The wrong form or fit usually affects functionality, or that is what I learned in thirty years of various Enginnering work, but that was only on defense missiles and aircraft and space hardware, but what the heck!

Afterall you may be right.........
Hi,
The only issue I know of was the fluid leak - I could have just replaced the reservoir gaskets but I figured replacing the whole unit couldn't hurt...
I think you are 100% right - I should have known better than to install something that looked "close but not the same" - I found out that the unit I purchased was a "universal replacement" - Rarely a good idea on a Rover I would think - - Lesson learned - I will install the correct unit and watch for other issues - Thanks again for your guidance and support.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Mightym
I got mine ordered from Atlantic British, should be here in a couple days. Is there any particular brake fluid that I should be using? Salesman with AB said castrol semi-synthetic dot 4, and said not to use any petroleum based brake fluid as it while damage seals.
On the top of the reservoir it should say what fluid to use - Mine says "use DOT4 ONLY"... Hope this helps

Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This happens each and every time someone uses a non Rover master cylinder, the brakes lock up and will not release.
Install a OEM master cylinder and no problems, I dont know why, thats just the way it is.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
This happens each and every time someone uses a non Rover master cylinder, the brakes lock up and will not release.
Install a OEM master cylinder and no problems, I dont know why, thats just the way it is.
I wish I had known this a few days ago i think it may have to do with the length of the rod (plunger) on the master - I don't know - but after this I will only use Rover approved parts for sure -

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

maybe this should be a sticky....

Quick Reply: brakes too much -