Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Call Justin @ Lucky8....better everyday prices.

I bought my entire Orange set from them, and more.

click on the link in my sig...
x2 poly bushings from Justin at L8

Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Pro Wrench

i looked at the roversnorth bushings. they didn't seem to be the official "Polybush." I kept hearing how bad ones were awful so I ended up going with the rubbers from AB. I still don't know if I made the right decision. D1 runs great. D2 to come.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
i looked at the roversnorth bushings. they didn't seem to be the official "Polybush." I kept hearing how bad ones were awful so I ended up going with the rubbers from AB. I still don't know if I made the right decision. D1 runs great. D2 to come.
Anything is better than worn out bushings.....if it goes straight, its all good.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go back with the stock rubber bushings as well..

Going to replace every bushing and bumper and block and ball joint on the truck..
So far I think I tackled the toughest ones first...All the tie rod ends..Those were pretty tough... I'm hoping the sway bar end links won't be as bad but they probably will be...All the parts are now on order to finish everything else including the ball joint on the rear...At least I'll be able to get the sway bar off in one piece and work on it on the bench..

Then I'll probably be doing the steering box..

Can that be overhauled sucessfully ?

John

Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Rock Crawling

The steering box is probably not worth attempting a rebuild on, they tend to wear the hard parts so replacing all the soft parts does nothing much. I assume it's leaking(since they all leak)?

I have a PS leak, when it gets bad enough I think I will try the box AdvancedAuto offers, it's cheap at just over $200+ the core charge. If it works out then great. I figure it can't leak any worse than what I have now, right?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Pro Wrench

My new box leaked from the start. I removed the upper o ring from the old box and put it in the new box and it stopped leaking...almost completely.

As Higgs said they all tend to leak and I've heard just about every version, Original Part/OEM/rebuild not to be 100%.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just need to get the rest of the play out of the steering... I can't really tell how much is in the box and how much is because all the bushings are shot and everything is moving around....

The bushing kit got here this morning.. I think I'm just short the last ball joint for the back end and I'll be ready to spend a day re-furbing everything.. I'm saving shocks and springs for last...Wheel and spindle bearings will be next if those don't check out when I get the front end apart...I'm actually expecting to have to do them too but I'm calling that a separate project for another day. Probably do the shocks and springs at the same time..

And I've got to go out and buy a press.. I love a new tool... Gonna buy a 20 ton....

Then if it's still sloppy I'll probably do the steering box..

Does anybody know if the hard parts inside the steering box are available for purchase ? Somebody has to make them or they couldn't be refurbed..

JOhn

Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The internals inside the box are pretty stout. Just buy the COMPLETE rebuild kit.

As long as you read though the RAVE, you will be fine. It is a straight forward job, as long as the nut for the arm comes off. I had to cut mine off. Also, the nut that holds the upper shaft is huge and will need a socket big enough to remove it...I dont recall the size....