Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cummins 4bt Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: You don't post too often, Buzz!

Many think I post too often. But as a moderator I try to make sure people get introduced to the system, get a prompt answer, etc. I just replied to a fellow that asked for the location of the starter and how to remove it on an LR3 at 1:40AM. Sent him the shop manual pages.

I certainly hope I don't have to do a starter at 1:40AM........

What I say is not always the correct answer, and there are those who promptly speak up. I like to use pictures to add to the posts.

Couldn't find the Dart, but here is a Mercury they made up. They had the major brands covered, and would tour the country, the jet dragster would be parked at a dealership (paid promo) during the week, then on the weekend be the last race of the evening, with a big flame out the back.

Point being - you can put any dang engine in any darn thing you like, with enough time and treasure.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-29-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P95nut
Ok, thank you.

4. TN doesn't have inspections, so we're good there.
Where are you in Tennessee?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people doing what they want with their truck. But this "college of Rover knowledge" is like any other university, freshman classes tend to be large, and basic. As knowledge grows, it becomes more specialized and you head into an area of specialization. We have freshmen, upper classmen, and grad students here, along with doctors of dieselology, masters of mud mayhem, etc.

And what you get here is mostly opinions, from one person or another. If you took all your classes from one guy, then all you would know is what he knew. You need a variety of opinions. None of us knows it all, and no one knows more than all of us.

I doubt this site will ever be a haven all, but it does support quite a few folks with general info. The education and experience level of our members varies, as does the thickness of their checkbook. Most read on here, and seldom post. Some post too often (mea culpa).
Not enough...Thank you ! You are a great help...

Old 08-28-2018, 08:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4bt cummins into a 2007 landrover?

Can you put a 4bt cummins into a 2007 landrover defender, regarding needing to meet emissions standards?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I saw a Disco II for sale (sold) with a slightly smaller version of the 4BT, completely functional (Isuzu version). There is a video somewhere. The engine bay was STUFFED. I think the 4Bt would shred a rotocoupler/rotoflex on the first trip to the store, but that can be replaced with a rotoflex delete kit. Maybe some stronger (Tom Woods or similar) driveshafts would help. I am not sure how the transmission/diffs would react, but it would be fun to find out. The transmission will shift without most sensors attached (tested by me in a Disco II), but the shift points on an automatic will be wildly wrong for a lower RPM diesel.

I think the biggest concern for a 4BT is physical size. They are tall. A large lift and large bump stops would be required. Truthfully, if I figured out how to make a Disco I or II work with a 4BT I would seriously consider foregoing the lift and leave off the hood (so everyone could see what I did). Then the weight. Then the electronics (much less to worry about in a Disco I). Then... then.... list goes on. But I think it would be FUN TO FIND OUT and whole-heartedly encourage the OP to try!

Four hours in the driveway and a set of new head gaskets would be more prudent, but less fun. Yet who among us has not dreamt of a diesel engine like our European cousins have, much less one that can power a backhoe or small bulldozer?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-29-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

TN doesn't have any inspections????!!! My word Cali drives me nuts. Keep in mind there are federal mandates on converting a petrol motor car to diesel too. But if you don't have inspections in your state I couldn't imagine how it would come up. But I fear it is infact illegal.
This is from the EPA and says in short that if you don't stick to a stock option for a vehicle you can't do a swap and if you do stick to a stock option for that vehicle it must not increase the emmisions.

"This policy states that EPA will not consider any modification to a "certified configuration" to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected."

The EPA goes on in length basically saying don't do it and further defining what it means. Here in California I would not even think about dropping that kind of coin and time into that cause I could never drive it on the street. Even living in the Sierra Nevada Mountains I still have to smog my cars every other year. A good deal compared to many other counties here. This is the EPA's literature:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf

Old 08-30-2018, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

TN does have inspections. Or I’ve been punked bigtime the last couple of years.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns

TN does have inspections. Or I’ve been punked bigtime the last couple of years.
You've been punked.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you make this work with ACE and cruise control?

Old 03-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunkgringo
TN doesn't have any inspections????!!! My word Cali drives me nuts. Keep in mind there are federal mandates on converting a petrol motor car to diesel too. But if you don't have inspections in your state I couldn't imagine how it would come up. But I fear it is infact illegal.
This is from the EPA and says in short that if you don't stick to a stock option for a vehicle you can't do a swap and if you do stick to a stock option for that vehicle it must not increase the emmisions.

"This policy states that EPA will not consider any modification to a "certified configuration" to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected."

The EPA goes on in length basically saying don't do it and further defining what it means. Here in California I would not even think about dropping that kind of coin and time into that cause I could never drive it on the street. Even living in the Sierra Nevada Mountains I still have to smog my cars every other year. A good deal compared to many other counties here. This is the EPA's literature:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf

How are they ever gonna enforce any of that ? You think the average cop giving you a speeding ticket is gonna inspect your engine? You worry for nothing mate.