Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
Either one will work fine.

Where did you come up with that? Can you truly support that claim?

Fine for a few minutes, then it becomes detrimental.

I hear that is very bad on the pump causing premature wearout. Do a search and see.

I really hate to see people give bad advice and from all that I have read, that is indeed bad advice!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by olywa
Okay. I need to order the hoses and replace them all. I hope it just the hose.

Are you saying you had leaking hoses to begin with?

As far as how much to put in, all correct fluids and capacities are listed in the RAVE and in the owners manual of the RAVE. You should take a little time and maybe print out some pertinent information so you have all that handy.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Where did you come up with that? Can you truly support that claim?

Fine for a few minutes, then it becomes detrimental.

I hear that is very bad on the pump causing premature wearout. Do a search and see.

I really hate to see people give bad advice and from all that I have read, that is indeed bad advice!
I came up with that from working at a Land Rover dealership (Master Tech), if you want a chapter and verse quote, how about this

Where ambient temperature falls below -20° C (-4°
F), use only Texaco cold climate power assisted
steering fluid PSF 14315. Where ambient
temperature remains above -20° C (-4° F), use either
Texaco cold climate power assisted steering fluid ,
Dexron 11 or Dexron 111 non-synthetic fluid.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Discovery 2 Workshop Manual
"PAS fluid
Use Texaco cold climate power assisted steering
fluid PSF 14315.

ACE fluid
Where ambient temperature falls below -20° C (-4°
F), use only Texaco cold climate power assisted
steering fluid PSF 14315. Where ambient
temperature remains above -20° C (-4° F), use either
Texaco cold climate power assisted steering fluid ,
Dexron 11 or Dexron 111 non-synthetic fluid."

You quoted the ACE fluid spec for a Discovery 2. What does that have to do with a Discovery 1's power steering?

Here's the correct info:
Discovery 1 Workshop Manual "Power steering: ATF Dexron IID"

Last edited by EricTyrrell; 07-19-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Just what I would have guessed, did you ever service the DI's Power Steering?

I have seen owners who reported problems shortly after the addition or total replacement with standard power steering fluid. Guess there were differences between the two models?

I had read in Land Rover material that it was transmission fluid to minimize the need for different specialized fluids like was their practice on the earlier versions including the Defender. Or did I dream that up?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all three of the Rovers ive now had the PO put power steering fluid in and they leak like a bottomless bucket. I was able to reduce the drips by slowly getting the PS fluid out and putting ATF in. By taking a turkey baster and getting out as much as I could then adding ATF and then turning wheels lock to lock. and repeat. and repeat. I would guess im down to 97% ATF and 3% PS fluid lol.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Winching

Whatever, just go ahead and scare people with internet myths like "I started using power steering fluid and then my system started to leak" nonsense. I used the DII reference to show the interchangeability of the two fluids. I figured the guy had enough to worry about with car problems and a pregnant wife to listen to someone tell him she ruined his power steering system. But if that's what amuses you, go ahead.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 PM

That would be great if it were the identical system. Wasn't trying to scare anyone, even asked if he knew the specified fluid for the DI since that is what both of us have. Not all Land Rover personnel are knowledgeable about the DI as many of us have experienced. We were all trying to help him out.

And I have seen other postings regarding a problem if/when the wrong fluid is used. Luckily I found out before making that mistake on mine. It may be fine on a DII, I do not know nor care actually.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
That would be great if it were the identical system. Wasn't trying to scare anyone, even asked if he knew the specified fluid for the DI since that is what both of us have. Not all Land Rover personnel are knowledgeable about the DI as many of us have experienced. We were all trying to help him out.

And I have seen other postings regarding a problem if/when the wrong fluid is used. Luckily I found out before making that mistake on mine. It may be fine on a DII, I do not know nor care actually.
My knowledge of Land Rovers (at the dealership level) spans from the Series IIA through 2004 (I finished up my career at Lexus but that's another story) so I am familiar. But if you think that your experience in owning one for a couple of years and reading about mechanics on the internet makes you an expert then I wish you luck in your delusion.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 PM

So if his is ruined, you'll take care of it for him?

Quick Reply: D1 steering leak