Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco 1 AC issue

First off, the vehicle I am working on is a 97 Disco 1 with 173k on the clock.

The AC is not working in this truck. I just purchased it last week (I part out a lot of wrecked/blown up Rovers but came across this one in good running shape) and the AC compressor won't kick on.

I touched a jumper wire straight to the compressor and the clutch engages. I then jumpered the pressure switch directly under the High pressure port and the cooling fans came on. I am getting no power to the compressor and am looking for a solution.

I did some searching on these forums and all the info is great but couldn't find exactly what I needed. The climate control system seems to be working fine but the AC (snowflake) button does not light up.

Can anyone tell me the exact location of the AC compressor relay? I am thinking this is the issue. Any other insight/opinions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Drifting

also, I have an entire wrecked vehicle that is completely intact that I can swap parts off of that has a working AC system so I can test bad parts. I just need to know the location of the relays/parts to swap.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

K108 behind rh footwell kick panel. The shop and electrical manual set is called the RAVE, free download links below.

Relay will have Black with green, brown with green, white with green, and black with grey wires. But you may want to check fuses under hood and under dash as well.

The RAVE has photos of locations.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the refrigerant pressure. If the system has low pressure it won't turn on.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Forgot to mention, the system has freon and has pressure. I swapped the relay in right footwell with a known good one (two actually to make sure) and it still wouldn't kick on. I looked at the manuals.

Am I right that the only fuses are the 25amp one under the steering wheel that is for the AC and blower and the 30 amp for AC clutch, and 60 amp for AC heat in the fuse block under the hood? All of these fuses are good.

I am thinking its the actual AC 'snowflake' switch. I cannot get it to come out of the climate housing for the life of me. any tips?

Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Ok, fixed the AC. The AC switch was bad ( the snowflake button). Took a known good one out of another truck and popped it in and compressor fired right up. ICE COLD AC!

Thanks for the help guys to narrow down the problem.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Glad you found the problem, mine has a slow leak so we just refilled it again 2nd time in 2 weeks and added dye, any thoughts on what it probly is? I have rear a/c

Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doxster22
Ok, fixed the AC. The AC switch was bad ( the snowflake button). Took a known good one out of another truck and popped it in and compressor fired right up. ICE COLD AC!

Thanks for the help guys to narrow down the problem.
Hi - How did you get the 'snowflake' switch out of the dash?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azsparrow
Hi - How did you get the 'snowflake' switch out of the dash?
Yes please tell us, my switch is bad ( you have to hold it in for it to stay on) and i have the dash half apart and I can't even get it out far enough to see the plug at the back.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default me too!

My Switch is going bad, any insight on how to get it out?

I called Atlantic British and they said I had to buy the entire "unit" for over $400!

Abran

Quick Reply: Disco 1 AC issue