Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 Engine started running real rough, and backfired?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:23 PM
|
3rd Gear
Default Disco 1 Engine started running real rough, and backfired?

I was on a trip the other day with my Disco and after about an hour the engine started running real rough, and it would stall out whenever I can to a stop.
After I started it back up it would run smooth for 2-3 minutes then start running rough again, and stall if the rpms went to low. I was forced to shift to neutral and rev a little to keep it running at stops to get home, (an hour drive home).

Also when I forced it to rev it when running rough it sounded like it would occasionally backfire.

In drove it like this for an hour to get, home and by the time I got home it seemed to be running slightly better although still very rough.

Anyway I'm stumped as to what this could be? What should I check first? Where to start/what to replace?

Again Symptoms cliffs:
-2-3 mins after starting engine starts running very rough and continues to do so.
-When it's running rough, while driving the engine sounds like it backfires occasionally.
-Rpms get to low, (like when coming to a stop) engine stalls. (Starts back up and runs fine for a minute or two then runs rough again).
-While it was running rough it seemed to have a loss of power. Although when I revved it high it didn't seem to have any power loss.

So far I tried running it with the mass airflow sensor disconnected, to see if that made any difference, but that made no difference.
Now I don't know where to start?

No other symptons as far as I could tell, clean coolant, oil was recently changed, wasn't overheating, (heads where replaced a few thousand miles ago).

Old 06-03-2013 | 05:02 PM
Baja

what year and model is the vehicle? sounds like cam or crank sensor BUT could be a lot of things, is the engine light on?

one of the best investments I made was an ultragauge if you have an obd2 vehicle

Old 06-03-2013 | 05:45 PM
|
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TOM R
what year and model is the vehicle? sounds like cam or crank sensor BUT could be a lot of things, is the engine light on?

one of the best investments I made was an ultragauge if you have an obd2 vehicle
No the check engine light isn't on. How would I go about diagnosing a cam or crank sensor?

Old 06-03-2013 | 05:51 PM
Baja

what year and model vehicle?

Old 06-03-2013 | 09:25 PM
|
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TOM R
what year and model vehicle?
Sorry forgot to include that in the other post. It's a 1996 SE Discovery. 4.0 GEMs engine.

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Cool

when mine acted that way it ended up being a wet ecu.....It's worth a look...it can be dry on the outside but damp on the inside.....

Old 06-04-2013 | 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mr obd2,

Your multiple posts, with no addition to the site, or real questions, and simply links to support a commercial web based enterprise are of little value. If you want to participate in the forum, explain the subtle differences that make your products superior, tell how to properly use the various scanners, and such, you would be welcome. We have a number of members who work for sites or firms, but they add value with their information.

But at the moment, I'm cleaning out your posts and removing you from our forum as a spammer.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.