Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 Front Propshaft Inquiery

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Disco 1 Front Propshaft Inquiery

I need to know if the front propshaft pulled from a 98 Land Rover Discovery LE, will fit snug on a 96 Discovery. I also need to know if the front propshaft on the Discovery series 1 has a rubber flex coupler of any kind. Last I knew the early Disco 1 models had the rubber flex coupler on the rear shaft but not the front shaft. If you have any pics of the front propshaft placement on a 96 that would be very useful to. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I just replaced the U joints on mine following the write up in the tech sticky section (covers D1 and D2 propshafts), there is no flex coupler on the front one. Should fit those years. Looked at British Pacific and Rovers North and did saw same part number covers a range of years, and models. Take a peek yourself, they have good exploded diagrams.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I just replaced the U joints on mine following the write up in the tech sticky section (covers D1 and D2 propshafts), there is no flex coupler on the front one. Should fit those years. Looked at British Pacific and Rovers North and did saw same part number covers a range of years, and models. Take a peek yourself, they have good exploded diagrams.

Sounds good. I felt pretty certain that the front shaft would fit all Disco 1 models. My concern arose after I sold a used front shaft to a customer on ebay - they complained that the shaft is to short and that there is a rubber coupler.

They quote:
Thank for your effort to have the shaft arrived yesterday as promising unfornetely it's wrong.
The problem is that the shaft is to short and I beleive you ship the rear drive drive shaft because there is a rubber coupling is fitted at the differential end of the shaft."

I replied by reminding them that the shaft I sold them was for the front end as mentioned in my post and that there is no rubber coupler on the front end. They replied: "
I did order front drive shaft for 1996 Land Rover Discovery 95,000 miles.What do you mean by Trim?"

PS: The extending part of the front shaft faces the front axle correct? I did remove the shaft personally however I forgot what position the shaft was facing before I removed it from the rig.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

English is shaky in the Congo huh.

They wrote, "The problem is that the shaft is to short and I beleive you ship the rear drive drive shaft because there is a rubber coupling is fitted at the differential end of the shaft."

Sounds like he is saying the shaft you shipped him had a rotoflex on it. I think you would know if that's the case. WTF?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

But that gringo might have very large hands and a very small smart phone...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow, I have enough trouble with people understanding that the LEFT side of the truck is the driver's side in the US. Now I'm going to have to specify that the front of the truck is where the headlights are??? It sounds like the customer in this case has a distinct confusion over what are the front and back of their truck!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Could be that purchaser bought it used without a front shaft and thought it was a rare two wheel drive "Hatari" spec rover, identified by the lighted "H" logo on the dash....

Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What we have here is a basic failure to communicate. No Habla Englishia or Swahilllie either.

SO SOLLY. U WANT EGGROLL WITH THAT?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
TReK

Good remarks from all of you lol. The buyers English is rather poor, and makes "trying to work with him/her" really difficult. I'm with out a doubt certain I sent him the correct "front" propshaft for his 96 Disco 1 SE7. Based off his/her most resent response my interpretation is that the Disco was either towing or being towed and somehow the shaft broke? Shaft was brought to a shop and something was removed from the shaft - go figure. Does anyone have any pics of their Disco 1 front propshaft as it looks when properly installed on the vehicle?

The buyer quotes:
"I'm a master tech on automotive field... I did work for porsche, bmw, audi and volkswagen and spent six months in germany specialized myself on those car. The situation with the old front driveshaft is that : the problem occured when the towing chuck destroy the shaft he had brought it to his friend shop and had it completely removed.
My trim is SE7 and it does make sens that's the right shaft because the shaft can be extended manually. I was wondering if I do need any other pieces because the lenght just short about 3 inches and again it wasn't me removed the old one.

I real appreciate that in you can send me pictures of the installation because I don't have the manual.
Thanks"

Master Mechanic...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If the front prop shaft slip joint was compressed during shipping then yes the prop shaft would be shorter.
If he cant figure out how to install a propshaft then he is not a master tech.
8 bolts hold it on, you pretty much cannot screw it up.
It will bolt in no matter the direction it is facing.

Quick Reply: Disco 1 Front Propshaft Inquiery