Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I love the 5 speed in my SE7. Lots of power available and fun to drive!
im going to second that... the 5spd in my 97 is entertaining to drive. my daily is an automatic and its nice to shift gears in the disco.

that being said its definitely a truck transmission, nothing happens all that quickly hah

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vast majority of Disco's are auto's. Five speeds are rare.

If you are worried about looks, maybe a Disco is not a good choice no matter the color. Or try to get the Metallic Rose colored one.

I know the old Land Cruiser was a real dog as far as acceleration, but the DI won't impress you much either as far as acceleration regardless of the tranny.

They do cruise fairly nicely and handle off-road conditions well even stock as long as the CDL shifter works properly. If it is frozen up, you basically got a full-time one wheel drive system once you get in slick conditions, so make sure the Diff Lock engages and disengages before you go off-road with it.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
The vast majority of Disco's are auto's. Five speeds are rare.

If you are worried about looks, maybe a Disco is not a good choice no matter the color. Or try to get the Metallic Rose colored one.

I know the old Land Cruiser was a real dog as far as acceleration, but the DI won't impress you much either as far as acceleration regardless of the tranny.

They do cruise fairly nicely and handle off-road conditions well even stock as long as the CDL shifter works properly. If it is frozen up, you basically got a full-time one wheel drive system once you get in slick conditions, so make sure the Diff Lock engages and disengages before you go off-road with it.
Very nicely put, coming from someone who loves his beluga black D1 and would like every single part on the truck to be black. Except for mirrors and windows (if limo tint doesn't count).

Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Actually, my D1 has awesome acceleration. Gets me up to speed very quickly. Not as fast as my BMW 525 did, but definitely quicker than my rice burner!(both had 5 speeds as well).

Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Cars

Black cars look better in the shade....... Gino Vanelli

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
Very nicely put, coming from someone who loves his beluga black D1 and would like every single part on the truck to be black. Except for mirrors and windows (if limo tint doesn't count).

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine accelerates well for a Discovery, considering the weight and lack of horsepower, but it is the slowest vehicle I have EVER owned. Even my 4 cylinder 164 cubic inch Volvo 240 DL was a lot quicker doing 40 mph in each gear. ZMy neighbor was amazed when it shifted into OD at 110 when I eased off the throttle.

But my previous cars did include a 280Z, a MB420SEL, and a 32valve Porsche 928 to name a few.