Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco Overheating!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Overheating!!!!

Last night I was cominh home and my Dicos started overheating and I turned on the heater to cut it back a little bit to make it home. About half a mile from home there was no heat coming out of the heater the air was cold and no the ac was not on. Wha t I am assuming is the waterpump was sqeauling like it was froze up and then A hose the top hose leading to the heater core blew and I got home and parked it. this morning I got up and found the ruptured hose and l ordered a new pump that wil be here tomorrow. While I am at it i pulled the radiator and have been flushing it constantly it seems like it is coming pretty clean with no issues. I am going to have the radiator pressuer tested to make sure that it is good before I put it back in. The two electric fans are both toast I pulled them and banch tested them and neither one will come on. Unless the run on more than 12 volts?
After pulling the pump i took some pics to share it is over all pretty good except a couple bad spopts on the blades. When turning it by hand it will spin freely but can feel a drag on the bearings inside and can here a slight grinding sound so I am hoping that the new water pump will cure my newest problem right now. If anone has any insightt make sure I am doing it correctly let me know.
I also was considering runing the hose through and flush the engine from top to bottom. So far nothing but clean water coming back out after all the dollant has been flushed.

Attached Thumbnails Disco Overheating!!!!-water-pump-002.jpg   Disco Overheating!!!!-water-pump-003.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, the viscous fan clutch would make a feel like peanut butter inside (drag on the blades). Does water pump still make the noise when you turn it now that it is off? May want to replace the visocus clutch as well.

You had no heat beacuse you lost too much coolant. Hope block and head gaskets are OK.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to the junk yard and buy a pair of Toyota Corrola engine fans, swap your blades and connectors and you now have working a/c fans.
Hopefully you didnt fry the engine, it does sound like your water pump seized and fried the belt and then it really overheated and built up to much pressure and blew the upper radiator hose.
Also replace the thermostat while the system is drained and all other coolant hoses and the belt.
And make damn sure you put the belt back on corretly, it is very easy to route it wrong and the water pump will turn backwards.