Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

disco xd value

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco xd value

Hello all, I may be getting back into a rover and I just can't pin down a value. I found a 97 XD with a lift, new tires, 12K warn winch , front and rear bumpers. It has the XD rack and ladder.. No rust or body damage.

The big problem is the transfer case is out of the vehicle. The current owner was driving it regularly until one day it wouldn' move then it drove for about 100ft then stopped again. He said he read on the forums that it was the TC and he pulled it and that's where we are now. I'm concerned that I really can't do much to diagnosis what was/is the problem. Was it the tranny, the rear , the TC or just a driveshaft... Sorry no pics but it's a lifted yellow XD with aftermarket bumpers and winch.. I've been seeing non-xd's with no aftermarket goodies for $1600 to $3500...

I know it's worth exactly what I want to pay.. I was really looking for a wrangler for mild trails ect. I'm pretty sure in a few years I'll be looking for something else, it's a third vehicle. I've had a Range Rover classic Hunter ED, that I loved it she didn't love me and caused too much stress as my daily driver..

So what's an non-op 110K mile XD worth? approx? Is it true an XD is really just the paint and go for Disco is worth?? Should I just run away??? I'm deciding in a few hours cause it's been on my ,ind for weeks now..

thanks
bob

Old 05-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

What did you decide? If the condition was that good it was worth it simply because it is a Rover in good condition. The Hunter was my favorite RR and I have been looking for a decent one for some time.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 AM
5th Gear

I passed, I figured if I was that conflicted it was not the deal for me..

Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

What is/was the asking price? Is it still available? Could I convince you to reconsider?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
5th Gear

He was asking $4000 as is.. as much as I wanted to be in a rover again. I had to pass, I ended up buying a clean running wrangler for much less.. It may have been worth it but I just couldn't justify it. After the initial buy in plus TC, the radio, the window, light relay, It was off the road for 6+months(needed inspection) and what ever else was wrong with. I'd be in it over $5000 min.. And that was betting on just the TC be damaged. Although it was rust free from the pics and looked great.

In a few years when my garage project is completed and on the road. I'll probably look for another RR classic..

Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

ridiculous for a non-driver
It's worth something as a parts truck or project, maybe $1500 to a buyer that really wants it, but less than a thousand to most buyers of that type of vehicle
If he fixes it, then possibly it's worth several thousand, but to buy it broken you have to not only pay the parts and labor to fix it but also assume all the risk

Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
5th Gear

I offered $2000 and was willing to go $2500 mostly because of the rack, bumpers, lift, tires.. but like you stated I'd be in it for what it's worth as a driver.. That was OK with me I intended on keeping it.. but we couldn't come to a deal. Plus in a way I was glad he passed , my ears would have been hurting from all the advice I'd have gotten from my lovely wife. Something about buying another broken vehicle..

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
5th Gear

Oh, and thanks all for the advice. I feel a little better that my choice was correct. Now if I have another parts rig laying around, maybe...

Old 05-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

wow 4k, he did know that was yellow paint not gold plate right?

some people don't understand that you never get $ out of a vehicle that has a bunch of custom accessories you paid to add, unless the right buyer really wants it bad, maybe he figured he had $4k in used accessories and the truck was free

then there are those that think anything rover, bmw, benz, etc. is worth a fortune in any condition