Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery 1 Mild Trail Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Lol you can always hope. A build thread super model with a crack habit had similar rust repair done on it and it was pretty well documented if memory serves. Might take a peek for some inspiration

Old 03-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WeekendWarriors87
So a bit of an update for everyone following this build, I pulled the entire interior in search of rust and apparently the rust is tough to see from underneath because even upon a close inspection from underneath when I purchased it I wasnt able to see any of the rust that it has. Its definitely fixable, but it will set me back a little bit more than I was hoping. Other than that there has been lots of progress, brake lines are all replaced and calipers are being rebuilt. CDL is working and smooth, and the rest of my parts are coming in tomorrow so should be able to make lots of progress this week.

passenger side isnt too bad.

driver side is pretty bad, itll need an outer rocker and some floorpan work, as well as some new metal on the seat support.
That rot looks so familiar.

When you come to repair the rockers you ought to consider box section, much more HD and as you're in there already it won't take any longer to chop it all out and replace it all in one go.

There are a few rust repairs in the blog in my siggy ;-)

Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Lol you can always hope. A build thread super model with a crack habit had similar rust repair done on it and it was pretty well documented if memory serves. Might take a peek for some inspiration
these Landrover’s will do that🤣🤣🤣🤣 to those of us who have those tendencies 🤣

my old addiction

Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigelw
That rot looks so familiar.

When you come to repair the rockers you ought to consider box section, much more HD and as you're in there already it won't take any longer to chop it all out and replace it all in one go.

There are a few rust repairs in the blog in my siggy ;-)
I have considered the box section, since that might be strong enough to not need rock sliders.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might consider rick sliders built out rectangular tubing and cap them off make them as spare air tanks. I did this for a friend’s Jeep once and it worked really well.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dialtonehero57
You might consider rick sliders built out rectangular tubing and cap them off make them as spare air tanks. I did this for a friend’s Jeep once and it worked really well.
neat idea, probably not necessary for me though just because I will be buying a viair compressor

Old 03-05-2019, 04:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WeekendWarriors87
neat idea, probably not necessary for me though just because I will be buying a viair compressor
I wanted a Viair but couldn't justify the cost, bought a decent but cheaper own branded BritPart one and a small ally tank off an Audi Q7 to use as a reservoir, probably going to do a full blog post on the build in the future too.

The tanks in the sills sounded good to me too but not sure I'm comfortable with using square/box section to do it.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Nigelw
I wanted a Viair but couldn't justify the cost, bought a decent but cheaper own branded BritPart one and a small ally tank off an Audi Q7 to use as a reservoir, probably going to do a full blog post on the build in the future too.

The tanks in the sills sounded good to me too but not sure I'm comfortable with using square/box section to do it.
Yeah Im not getting the onboard version, just the portable. Can fill 33" tires and its like 150 CAD, so not too bad

Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Mudding

Just an update for anyone interested. Solved a few problems but found a few more...

What I finished:
- new spark plugs
- new fuel filter
- new fuel pump
- new fuel fill hose
- pulled off, scrubbed inside and put back gas tank
- engine runs now!
- oil change
- changed diff oil
- got the CDL working smooth and repainted the trim around it then replaced the rubber boot with new rivets
- got the central door locking working, but now the drivers door locking latch has an issue
- pulled and re-soldered the window ECU, it had a bad crack that is all good now but windows still dont work so still troubleshooting
- pulled headliner
- all brake lines finished front to back, with rotors off getting resurfaced

The following users liked this post:
Kilby (06-26-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what was the issue/resolution for your central locking issue? I currently have a few issues associated with mine.

Quick Reply: Discovery 1 Mild Trail Build