Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Door Chime - On All The Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Hey Guys -

Well at this point I would much rather prefer to not have the chime - I am assuming it's the slow "key in ignition" chime.

I sprayed the inards with PB and worked the key in n out and turning her off and on.. Still no go with the chime -

Anyone have a suggestion how to disable the chime itself - Not sure that it would be necessary - since it is virtually impossible to lock the keys in the truck :-)

Thanks for all your advice/input..

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 06-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DOWNLOAD THE RAVE AND START READING. It containds the owners manual, all the maint, theory of operation, component locations and a wealth of other pertinent info.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you able to resolve this? I have a buzz anytime the engine is running and it keeps my interior lights on. I have removed the door sensors in all doors and it remains on. At this point I have removed the interior lights and plan to remove the silly buzzer to avoid the battery running down.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The noise comes from the multi function unit (MFU) which is in a small box on back of the inside fuse block. Looks like this on inside. Controls lots of things like rear wiper, and other things that need timing features.

Attached Thumbnails Door Chime - On All The Time-mfu-internal.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Drifting

The speaker is in the bottom right hand corner of the picture. I think I will attempt to remove it without damaging the rest of the components. Thanks for the picture.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem with my 04 Discovery. There was a small metal pin in the ignition assembly that was sticking. If you remove the plastic covers off of your steering column and remove the plastic lighted collar off of your ignition assembly you will see the exposed metal ignition assembly. Coming out of this metal cylinder there is a small squarish pin that comes out of the side right by the end where you stick the key in. This pin moves in and out when a key is inserted and lifts a metal collar that connects to an electrical contact that indicates a key is inserted. Odds are that this pin and collar are stuck in the "key inserted" position. Some silicone lubricant and physically working the pin back and forth might help it move again.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chansonds
I had the same problem with my 04 Discovery. There was a small metal pin in the ignition assembly that was sticking. If you remove the plastic covers off of your steering column and remove the plastic lighted collar off of your ignition assembly you will see the exposed metal ignition assembly. Coming out of this metal cylinder there is a small squarish pin that comes out of the side right by the end where you stick the key in. This pin moves in and out when a key is inserted and lifts a metal collar that connects to an electrical contact that indicates a key is inserted. Odds are that this pin and collar are stuck in the "key inserted" position. Some silicone lubricant and physically working the pin back and forth might help it move again.
Thanks for the info - I will definitely have a looksee - I have retired the truck to the back yard - 15y/o son and I will get it back on the road, and it'll be his beach cruiser. Thanks again..