Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

driving my 97 disco x-country

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving my 97 disco x-country

So I'm moving from los angeles to north carolina
Do I drive my 97 across or buy a newer one?...

Issues:
Need new front brakes
Need new front shocks
When its been really hot here the engine has started to overheat while going up long hills with A/C on(or mountain like driving)- New Thermostat maybe? Water pump?
136,000 miles and the head gasket has NOT been replaced
Last time i had an oil change the mechanic told me about numerous new oil leaks
When driving btw 30-40 mph the trans is jumpy when i take my foot off the gas (or "coasting" if you will)
And my biggest issue with the truck is that damn problem with the alarm. Most times when i lock the doors (with key, dont have a remote) the alarm doesn't engage. But sometimes when it does, when i unlock the door it doesnt turn off, then the alarm sounds and it takes awhile to reset it. Mechanic told me just don't lock my doors.

So thats about it.
I'm looking at an 03 disco with 65,000 as an option. But I do love the one I have know

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!
Jason

Oh, and I might tow a small uhaul trailer...

Old 10-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My personal feeling is it would be a very high risk manuever to attempt to drive your 97 cross country with those issues and the current milage UNLESS you do an extreme amout of work PRIOR to embarking. Also with the price of gas and the average MPG of a 97 Disco being around 12 -16 and that is being generous.

You risk not making it and trashing the Disco totally out if you encounter temp related problems while crossing the country heavily loaded and what is the true benefit if you do make it?

I have a 97 with less miles and less issues than you stated.

What comparative shape is the newer one in?

You couldly probably do ok if you shipped the Disco with a reputable shipping company and rented a new vehicle that got really good gas milage. They are advertising the newer hybrids getting better than 40 mpg.

Hell a new Mustang can cruise at 33 mpg and has over 300 hundred hosses under the hood. I would much rather safely ship my Disco and blow cross-country in one of those Mustangs. You could cross Kansas a hell of a lot faster that way and be sure of making it. You may get more speeding tickets that way.........................

Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go for it, replace the brakes and shocks before you go as well as the trans fluid.
Replace the fan clutch with the one from the tech section, done, drive it.
I drove mine this spring 2500 miles in 4 days and it had 190,000 miles on it then.

Do the work yourself and shocks are $120 for 4 at AutoZone, brake pads are $100 for all four wheels, trans fluid is $20 fan clutch $50.

I drove mine from Grand Rapids MI to Dallas/Ft. Worth for a concert.

p.s.-my head gaskets are original.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Go for it, replace the brakes and shocks before you go as well as the trans fluid.
I drove mine this spring 2500 miles in 4 days and it had 190,000 miles on it then.

Do the work yourself and shocks are $120 for 4 at AutoZone, brake pads are $100 for all four wheels, trans fluid is $20 fan clutch $50.

What shocks are you getting for 120 bucks? I have been thinking about just putting on a set until I can afford the lift setup I want.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Where about in NC?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 PM

If you correct the issues, it could be an adventure. If you don't correct them, it could be a downright challenge.

Then again it could come apart at the worst possible time. It's your choice, go for it.

There have been some on here who did a fly and buy and made it pretty far. There have been others that barely got on the road before they broke down.

Like Dirty Harry said: Do you feel LUCKY?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought these almost 3 years ago and they work great.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...244424_0_7413_

I needed shocks but knew I would be upgrading the whole suspension later on but these were in my budget, I recommend them.
I take my truck offroad too and there is nothing wrong with my shocks today.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spike555

I fully agree with Spike. While you are at it, check ALL fluids. Having a street legal car that you cannot take cross country is not worth having. If you just don't trust the rig, then better get rid of it.
By the way, mine has 156K on original head gaskets.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Either way, it comes down to Risk versus reward. Overall cost also. If you are relocating for work related purposes and need to be there by a certain time would be a consideration. Can you afford a problem on the road?

I would either try to fix all the issues associated with overheating and have decent brakes at least. Then you got a better chance. I have driven cross-country a few times with two small kids and a wife along with me as my career in the Aerospace and Defense industry demanded. A problem on the road can ruin any trip.

Only you know what overall shape your Disco is in and what you are capable of it.

Spike didn't you recently say something like: Just because it works for others doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

I do basicall agree with the statement that if you can't trust your car, it's not worth having but I believe more in not destroying it by trying to push it on a long trip if it is not roadworthy.

The advantages to shipping the Disco and driving a rental is you don't risk destroying the Rover in the one-time process of relocating, you will still have it to continue enjoying after you get to Carolina and can continue to upgrade it after the move, and you ENJOY the trip in a nice new rental car, that if something happens, they give you another one to finish your trip increasing your probability of getting there within your allotted timeframe at much better MPG.

So evaluate your options and proceed as YOU choose. All advice received on any forum must be taken with a grain of salt (right Spike).

Throw all caution to the wind and push it til it explodes, fix a few things hope and pray it makes it, buy a newer one that you know nothing about firsthand, or go with the ship and drive a rental.

HMMM, what to do? What a quandry.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Winching

Thought about this, and it's just my opinion, but sell it. Get what you can for it, and use the cash to buy another when you get here. They are cheap.

Oh, and I answered my own question about the shocks, I stopped by Advanced Auto today and they have Monro's on sale, buy 3 get the 4th free. 43 bucks each. They will be in in the morning and on tomorrow afternoon!

I figured I'll put them on my 96 for now, then move them to my 97 once I get the lift I want.

Quick Reply: driving my 97 disco x-country