Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine install - Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with Rover Land again yesterday. They told me they are sending me a brand new oil pump kit: front cover and all. They told me that even though we installed my original cover and it was previously working, it could be causing issues now due to its high mileage. So we'll see...

Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spikeRovah
Does it tap only at idle or all the time? And when hot or cold or both?
is have to check for you. Is yours just at idle?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by calebbo
is have to check for you. Is yours just at idle?
Yes, only at idle and only when engine is hot.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Mudding

So how many front covers do you spot? lol...

Seriously, I am still having problems, and we have gone through 4 front covers. (One isn't shown here because it was in the back in a box).

Also disregard the messy shop haha, we got flooded out during hurricane Sandy. Still need some new tool boxes and such.

Name:  2OvtTdh.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  256.3 KB

Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Mudding

So we installed a brand new front cover with brand new gears. We let the truck sit over night and started it the following morning, and the oil light still stays on a little too long.

Here is a video of this start-up.

This is a video of the truck running cold, right after that start up. There is a bit of a 'tapping' noise, form what I can hear.

The problems seems to be better, but not perfect. There is still low oil pressure during a cold start.

Rover Land has given me two options...they said they can either refund the full cost of the engine and pay half the labor I spent back to me, and I send them their engine back...or they are willing to buy my truck off of me, and are willing to be responsible for the transportation of the vehicle.

I don't know what to do. I love my truck.

I have been reading different threads from different forums and I saw that changing the oil filter helped with oil light issues. What filters do you suggest? Like I said, my oil light stays on about 5 seconds after start up now, and once it gets hot, if I start it up again the oil light goes right out. So maybe the front cover sealed the deal and now I am just having a minor issue? I don't know anymore...lol I am sick of guessing.

I love my truck. I want to keep it, but I also don't want to keep digging myself a deeper grave.

Last edited by spikeRovah; 02-06-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Get your money back and half the labor and rebuild the heads on your old motor. You have to be a professional by now! My .02, but of course this means more time without your truck. In the Tech section it suggests using PUROLATOR #L40316, made by Mann. I have them on both of my trucks and all is good. Its a big one!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude that motor sounds like junk. I would go with option 3, which would be option 1 plus get them to bend over and pay 100% of the labor and shipping to remove their bad motor and reinstall yours once rebuilt. Throw the S' word at them a few times and they'll dig a little deeper. I doubt they would give you enough for your truck to cover all of your expenses, plus fund putting you in something equivalent (but driveable of course). After all, all you tried to do was buy a supposedly decent motor in good faith, i'm really not seeing why you should take any kind of a screwing on this and even paying half the labor to screw around with the bad motor they sold you is a bit much to swallow. Just .02 more

Last edited by ajnolin; 02-06-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I like ajnolin's viewpoint. More than the S word, tell them you will post your experience with them on every land rover forum in the world! I think we are at .06 cents now...

Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ajnolin
Dude that motor sounds like junk. I would go with option 3, which would be option 1 plus get them to bend over and pay 100% of the labor and shipping to remove their bad motor and reinstall yours once rebuilt. Throw the S' word at them a few times and they'll dig a little deeper. I doubt they would give you enough for your truck to cover all of your expenses, plus fund putting you in something equivalent (but driveable of course). After all, all you tried to do was buy a supposedly decent motor in good faith, i'm really not seeing why you should take any kind of a screwing on this and even paying half the labor to screw around with the bad motor they sold you is a bit much to swallow. Just .02 more
I cannot agree more. There is no way they are getting my truck. I'm not allowing them to make money off of my vehicle after what they put me through.

Gonna let them have it over the phone on Monday when I call.

I was thinking about rebuilding my old engine..however..I also had my eye on these Atlantic British engines.. opinions?...

Land Rover 4.0 Long Block Engine With Engine Heads And Rockers

Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
I like ajnolin's viewpoint. More than the S word, tell them you will post your experience with them on every land rover forum in the world! I think we are at .06 cents now...
I will be adding that in during the phone call! hahaha!

Quick Reply: Engine install - Low oil pressure