Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine Issues? :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I gotta stop by one day while you're working!
Does the black plastic have a horizontal seam? They were known for separating there.

Lol that'd be cool ... wish I could actually plan when i can work on it haha .. Put the new rockers on last night after kids went to sleep... lol

As for the tank yes it has a horizontal seam...... I'll send a message over and see whats up.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearw
Lol that'd be cool ... wish I could actually plan when i can work on it haha .. Put the new rockers on last night after kids went to sleep... lol

As for the tank yes it has a horizontal seam...... I'll send a message over and see whats up.
What are your thoughts on wheeling the 21st? I'm going and got a seat open if you're interested.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by fishEH
What are your thoughts on wheeling the 21st? I'm going and got a seat open if you're interested.

Dang would love to ... bit of a clue into the crazyness round here got 2 weddings this month and serving as sound "engineer" at church ... so 3/4 weekends kinda shot

Baby's due in Oct so reluctant to mozy too far from the ranch ... got anything planned for dec/jan?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance running some seafoam through the crankcase would resolve these issues? I'm not looking forward to doing this job to my Disco 1. My drivers side valve cover gasket is leaking. Had my passenger side replaced several years ago and it's holding up. I'm going to do the job on tv drivers side I just don't want to mess with the innards.

Originally Posted by nuclearw
Soaked it in degreaser overnight and WHAT A DIFFERENCE... the oil port on #8 was blocked a bit i figure dthats why it had the darker color, cleaned up and looked fine. pushrod looked perfect as well

The drivers side I cannot say the same for....

Found 1 that is definitely broken, and one that is suspect....

Here are some images, scaled down for you ihscouts

The one that is suspect doesn't appear to be missing the button, but the top of the pushrod has a slight lip around the outside

Next question is this:

can I replace the 2 damaged rockers and their respective pushrods, or do I need to replace the entire rocker assembly................. and looking at rovahfarm there are several rockers available, how the heck do I know which one I need

Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mattvail
Any chance running some seafoam through the crankcase would resolve these issues? I'm not looking forward to doing this job to my Disco 1. My drivers side valve cover gasket is leaking. Had my passenger side replaced several years ago and it's holding up. I'm going to do the job on tv drivers side I just don't want to mess with the innards.

ehh if your referring to the rockers & the clicking no....

As for the rest, the carbon itself is not an issue per se, I cleaned em cause I had them out anyway...

As for the rocker covers, just see if you can tighten the bolts careful tho they snap easy.

I had to get a 12pt 8mm deep socket from Lowes.. nowhere else local had one in stock, the 3/8 drive has a taper down that helps it to fit decen.

The whole process of getting to the rocker cover is pretty painless, you only have to remove the upper plenum and a few associated items.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Was doing some addition research and I was wondering if my problem is originating at the oil seperator? When I was swapping out my plugs And doing a throttle body job this past weekend I noticed a pretty solid amount of oil coming from the oil seperator. So I pulled off my PVC and found that there was quite a bit of build up going into the throttle body. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner and several qtips. Anyways, I will retighten. Thanks for your help

QUOTE=nuclearw;425189]ehh if your referring to the rockers & the clicking no....

As for the rest, the carbon itself is not an issue per se, I cleaned em cause I had them out anyway...

As for the rocker covers, just see if you can tighten the bolts careful tho they snap easy.

I had to get a 12pt 8mm deep socket from Lowes.. nowhere else local had one in stock, the 3/8 drive has a taper down that helps it to fit decen.

The whole process of getting to the rocker cover is pretty painless, you only have to remove the upper plenum and a few associated items.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

1/4" drive, 12pt deepwell 5/16" socket for the valve covers.