Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine Ping

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerx04
Even in California, use 15W40? wow, and i can somewhat see the need for the premium gas. Sounds like the lifters are starving for oil yes. Might have to pull the covers off and take a look see. First time through a motor with 126k on it. Hmmm, somewhat joyous and nervous, lol. Last time i worked on a motor i had to replace it due to a spun connecting rod bearing. (NOT FUN)
I use 15w-40 and I live in MI, you will be more than fine with that oil all year, change it every 5,000 miles and dont worry about it.
It is highly detergent and cleans the engine slowly as you drive.
If you have a sludge problem it wont fix it, but it will prevent a sludge problem from happening and can reverse the build up of some sludge.
It will also hold up to tons of abuse, such as sitting in heavy traffic with the a/c on in 100*F temps.
They even carry it at the quick lubes if you dont change your own oil.
The easiest thing to do first is to fill it with premium and see if the ping goes away, if it does you have a bad knock sensor.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i found the problem. Had been to damn busy to check anything and yesterday before the rain came i decided to grab some oil and check my lvl. Bastards who changed my oil cheated my *** outta 3 quarts. Topped off and running good now. Good thing is though the place i went to got rid of all of the workers so new people are better since i had the radiator flushed 3 weeks ago. I still gotta oil leak somewhere but until the rain is gone, that will have to wait. Running 10W-30 Full synthetic and imma just keep it that way. If anything else happens ill go from there. I appreciate all your help and should have done this sooner

Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I checked your average temp in Santa Clara, and the weather folks say it gets up to low 80's average in summer. That's why people live there. If you are doing stop and go in 95 degree or better traffic the shop manuals says 40W. 10W30, changed often (like 5000), good filter (big gives more capacity), and enough (weekly check of fluids under the hood). Rotella has a 10W30 product that has the extra cleaning ingredients and the ability to keep more dirt in suspension so the filter can trap it.

I decided I could change my own oil when the lube shop left off an o-ring on the filter for my wife's van and she drove 50 miles to work and the oil light came on as she entered the parking lot. All wally world offered was a free oil change and a bag of kitty litter to clean up the driveway.