Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine ticking & lots of leaks..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine ticking & lots of leaks..

Hello!

I have owned my Disco 1 for a little over half a year now (got him in Sept 2012) and just about a month ago the engine has started ticking. The ticking only happens when the truck is hot. It is completely silent when cold.

The truck is a 97 D1 SD with 154K miles. I have been putting 5W-40 Rotella T6 oil in it since I got it, but just today I changed the oil to Chevron Delo 15W-40, hoping it'd help. So far the tick is still there, but I have only driven it from my dad's shop to home with the new oil in it, which is only about 3 minutes down the road.

I also read that it is incredibly common for these engines to tick. I would like to know any thoughts from more experienced Rover owners? What do you think? I love my Disco to death.

I also got a coolant leak and an oil leak (common as well, I've heard). My coolant leak is always different. I am topping the coolant off every two weeks, the container half empty most of the time, sometimes not low at all. I also got a small oil leak somewhere (I think it may be valve cover gasket) and it looks like it's been leaking for some time, even before I owned the truck, though when I check my oil, the level never seems to go down. So it's not too heavy of a leak. Are there any common places/gaskets/covers that leak that I should know about, so I can get a better view on this and hopefully fix the issues? Both leaks are coming from the top of the engine. I don't know exactly where from. It is hard to tell.

Thanks to anyone that can help at all. I really love my truck and would to anything to keep it as long as I can.

-SR

Last edited by spikeRovah; 04-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Borrow/rent a coolant tester and pump up to 15 psi and wait 30 minutes to search for leak.

2. "The Tick" is a cylinder sleeve slipping. Usually starts from a significant overheat. Now when engine heats up, it starts slipping. Many times, when revved up, the ticking stops. The sleeve can't reverse as fast as the piston, so it quits hitting the fire ring of the head gasket. It is still slipping, just can't make it all the way to hit something before it reverses.

There are posts about pinning the liners. You can also install a 180F stat which may keep you cool enough not to tick.

Oil leak from valve covers, snug up with 8mm 12 point 1/4 inch drive socket.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your hot engine tick could be related to your ignition system, your serp belt, idle adj, ect. But id want to hear more ideas myself since ive expericenced this before too. Some lucas injector cleaner/upper cylander lube added to fuel helped me .

The valve cover, oil pan, and intake valley gaskets are very prone to leak on these trucks and are not at all expensive but can be timley to replace.
I havent got around to replacing all of mine yet but i will need too.

Its always good to snug the valve cover bolts with every oil change. keep a eye on your oil and coolant level (about every other day) if you see leaks like this.

It is extremly vital that you keep this engine from overheating if you intend to keep her a while. I would suggest getting a bluetooth OBD2 scanner ($20ebay) or a scan gauge to be sure you temp is staying correct ( and they do other cool stuff too)

I would pull off the fan cover (two clips) to get a better look and the radiator beyond the fan to see if it has corrosion or leaks on its body (pay close attention to the far ends on the inside. If you see corrosion you are sadly looking at a new radiator. ($350-600 new w/o installation) a recore could cost you close to the same and you would have the same old radiatior and you probably have the orginal one in there still. You may just have a leaking upper or lower coolant hose which are fairly easy to get and replace.

Ive seen another post of yours about cold start issues. It may be time for spark plugs and wires and they are a breeze to replace as well as a fuel filter (cheap and couldnt hurt). Buy better plugs and wires for better results. (atlantic british has nice kits for reasonable prices) Guys here swear by bosch

I would also check if your throttle/idle cable is correctly adjusted (make adjustments at running temp durling idle) see rave manual

As they say, its just rovers patiented anti rust technology at work.
These trucks are leakers and thats a fact. If your oil leak gets too bad you may start to experience smoking from your exaust mani getting drenched by oil and could cause overheating or ENGINE FIRES!!!!
Its always good to clean all that old gunky oil off of your steering and lower engine parts (a dirty job but its worth it. it makes it much easier to pin down current problems)

Refer to Disco Mikes High mileage service list in the sticky section for a piece of mind check list. If you start to dig into that list you will be pleased with the results.

Ive had good luck with lucas engine oil stop leak for my leaks. But i would not recommend stop leak for you radiator.

Observe your old oil for coolant droplets or a chocolate milk color (may mean head gaskets................ ouch)

please report back how you like your new oil

everyboy has a preference. I like castrol high mileage 10w-40 with a quart of lucas stop leak every change.

Hope this helps and in turn keeps your wallet thicker
Id be glad to be corrected on any of this by more senior members

all the best
Brian

1996 Disco

Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

my engine tick was a bad rocker arm, the last one on the pass side had the tip broke or worn off, would tap after warmup

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
my engine tick was a bad rocker arm, the last one on the pass side had the tip broke or worn off, would tap after warmup
2x on that one !
remove the valve covers and reassemble the plenum enough to start the engine.....it'll be easier to pinpoint the ticker, or eliminate that as a possibility. that may not be the issue , but ya gotta start somewhere.....keep us posted

Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your responses! I will be working on the truck this week and cleaning off all the gunky oil on the engine/trans/front suspension. It's been almost a week since I changed to thicker oil and the tick is still present.

Will definitely be taking all of your advice to find the tick. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is everyone running 40 weight oil. I'm still running 30w.