Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine/trans/TC swap out all in one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine/trans/TC swap out all in one?

I know this might seem preposterous but I want to swap the whole drivetrain from a 96 disco to a 96 disco. Reason being is that the drivetrain is bad on one, but the body is good, the other disco is rotting out at the seams and the drivetrain is really low miles. I want to keep the engine/trans/TC together to do the swap. i am thinking of cutting out the rad support on the bad body one and pulling it straight out, just trying to figure out if that will fit back into the other one coming down and in. That or I was thinking of raising the body and dropping the undercarriage to the ground and using a couple low dollies to roll it out enough to drop the engine into it. Can anyone offer me any advice this way, maybe from previous attempts or if you know that I could do the engine and trans together but not the TC etc. I just don't want to set the trans and engine together with the torque conv. I know little about positioning the torque conv. Help?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SMP2010
I know this might seem preposterous but I want to swap the whole drivetrain from a 96 disco to a 96 disco. Reason being is that the drivetrain is bad on one, but the body is good, the other disco is rotting out at the seams and the drivetrain is really low miles. I want to keep the engine/trans/TC together to do the swap. i am thinking of cutting out the rad support on the bad body one and pulling it straight out, just trying to figure out if that will fit back into the other one coming down and in. That or I was thinking of raising the body and dropping the undercarriage to the ground and using a couple low dollies to roll it out enough to drop the engine into it. Can anyone offer me any advice this way, maybe from previous attempts or if you know that I could do the engine and trans together but not the TC etc. I just don't want to set the trans and engine together with the torque conv. I know little about positioning the torque conv. Help?
If you have a load leveler you could angle it and fit the engine and tranny. Id pull the whole unit via assistance from sawzall then take the t case off and put the engine and tranny in.. Then install the case.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've seen the tranny and transfer case pulled together, but it was put back in separately, just to make it easier to handle. Like Jake cut the good stuff out of the bad body if you want, but I'd put the new stuff in one at a time.