Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

fast idle and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I was just say'n........

Yeah, it's alright here but there aren't that many real techs like other sites. Anyone can post up what the Rave says but as far as hands on real world.....not many. Discoweb and LRRF are two great sites although LRRF seems to be fading. Land Rovers Only was a great site but many old skool left awhile back including a couple of real LR techs. PT Schram is all over the place, he's one indy who's into the sport up to his neck since it's his living. You'll find him on Discoweb and more often than not these days and he's a mod on LRO. He's posted here a time or two as well. D1's are becoming old and not as much ownership anymore. Great trucks though. I had a guy just recently want to trade straight up for my truck for a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 and less miles. I flatly told him "NO". I'm a former owner and I know better besides it only gets 6 miles to the gallon with 33's. I gave it a little thought though, I can mess with his ECU whereas ours are LR locked, no variable mods. Two EEPROM chips for over $500 bucks aint worth it or having to 4x4 dyno dial in a Mega-Squirt ECU is a tad expensive. Only drawback of the truck, no fiddling with the A/F Maps and lousy fuel mileage where allot of it gets unburned. No middle torque or hp either.

Good luck with your project and hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It's a rush to fix em and get em reliable. I've had mine for 4 years and it's been an entertaining hobby.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I tried a few suggestions,
Unplugged idle control valve and turned key on 3 time, resulted in even higher idle speed
Then took out valve and cleaned it and turned it on to see if it moved out of the intake, it move out and then the spring launched the valve! Ugh. Put it back together the best I could and still high idle. Looks like I may have to buy the expensive part;(

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

remember this? Resist temptation to "adjust" it.

and I agree with this Anyone can post up what the Rave says - if only they would have a copy, and read it and find where things are spread around multiple files.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-27-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Drifting

Lol, i was just cleaning and the actuator and it moved out when I turned the key and it flew apart. Lol. I think it was not retracting but it's broken. I may have a line on a wrecked disco that would solve most of my problems if that works out.
Need to see it first and figure if it is worth it

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Camel Trophy

Now you know what not to do next time eh. The trick doesn't always work and with your mileage it probably was time to snag another anyways......you just never know until you try. I know it shouldn't launch like a Minute Man missile......

What year is the donor your thinking about snagging?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Camel Trophy

NAPA part #CRB 21856 - $66.99.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Drifting

Ihscouts thanks for the info on the cheaper part! Going to call NAPA in a little while.
Yea my disco has some serious miles on it, it was
A mommy wagon so I don't think it was ever offroaded.
I got it for 1000, so I am not in too deep.
The parts car I am hoping to get is suppose to be the same as
my 98, might be the same color too! I will let everyone know what I find.
I feel like I am on a parallel course with my wrecked VW thing that I built out of multiple cars 20 years ago just like my disco.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: my wrecked VW thing that I built out of multiple cars 20 years ago just like my disco

Bravo. And when I replaced my IACV for high idle, the ECU refused to "re-learn" it despite multiple methods. Finally an ECU and an IACV from the same salvage vehicle did the trick. The u-pull-da-partz yards sometimes have Discos, and some even have on-line inventory, are on the way to that next business trip, visit to grandma, etc.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Must be more discos in the US than vw things imported. So finding used parts is easier!
Just called NAPA and they have the part in stock. Looks like these motors are similar to a jeep?
After I get this idle problem fixed on to non functioning front windows. Then deal with 260000 mile original shocks!
But that is another story

Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Drifting

Do I have to use Testbook? To tune and install a new idle control valve? I was checking the manual but could not find anything other that.

Quick Reply: fast idle and brake lights