Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

fast idle and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No brake lights

My 97 disco has only the third brake light. No other brake lights work. I was looking through RAVE and trying to read the wiring diagram. Not my strong suit though. I see there is a "stop lamp switch suppressor" and apparently our brake switches have two positions perhaps one for taking the cruise control out of action and the other for stop lamps.

I have checked the bulbs (I want to string the guy up who made the access for a replacement part like a bulb such a bugger to get into). The bulbs check out as good.

Any thoughts on what to look at?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

corrosion on bulb sockets, will need to remove to inspect. Same power that lights the third light does these. If none of the rear lights in the stop lamp housing work might consider the ground also for the housing. Rednek fix is a pair of trailer lights on sale from Harbor Freight and some duct tape... lol.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
corrosion on bulb sockets, will need to remove to inspect. Same power that lights the third light does these. If none of the rear lights in the stop lamp housing work might consider the ground also for the housing. Rednek fix is a pair of trailer lights on sale from Harbor Freight and some duct tape... lol.
I took the bulbs out of the sockets. All shiny and clean on both the fittings and the bulbs. All the other lights in the rear end work, turn signals, reverse, tail lights (no stop lights though) and rear fog lights all work.

Its the little things in life that make me crazy. Big stuff, easy. LIttle ****ily things like no stop lights for no apparent reason, nuts. Why does the forum software take out the word n!ggly and replace it with *****. That's another thing that makes me crazy. The world is too fracking PC

Last edited by jeff spahn; 04-03-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Sockets that connect the tail light to the wiring harness were corroded. Never thought to check that. buffed with emery cloth. work perfect now.

Do the Discovery 1 lights in the bumper function as stop lights or are they just tail lights?