Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A few Q's about Discovery Is

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default A few Q's about Discovery Is

I'm looking at moving to Costa Rica. There I've found a 1994 Discovery.

Basically I'm looking for a 4x4 that can get me places and is cheap. I really do want something older. The 1994 Disco is the newest I've looked at.

What are the general consensus of these things? Are they reliable or are they like the modern guys that are a continual fixer upper?

Basically I fly for a living and will be needing a vehicle to commute to and from the airport. When i'm not doing that I plan on slumming it for a bit in a great way on the sandy beaches lol. I'd also like to take a day and do a little off-roading around the area.

I know ANY vehicle can have issues which is why I'd have a mechanic look it over but lets assume I get one in pretty good of working conditions how are they? Bullet proof like the older jeeps or waiting to fall apart?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
I'm looking at moving to Costa Rica. There I've found a 1994 Discovery.

Basically I'm looking for a 4x4 that can get me places and is cheap. I really do want something older. The 1994 Disco is the newest I've looked at.

What are the general consensus of these things? Are they reliable or are they like the modern guys that are a continual fixer upper?

Basically I fly for a living and will be needing a vehicle to commute to and from the airport. When i'm not doing that I plan on slumming it for a bit in a great way on the sandy beaches lol. I'd also like to take a day and do a little off-roading around the area.

I know ANY vehicle can have issues which is why I'd have a mechanic look it over but lets assume I get one in pretty good of working conditions how are they? Bullet proof like the older jeeps or waiting to fall apart?
D1s are simpler than later Discos, easier to wrench on, less stuff to break, etc. You should read through the sticky on things to look for in a D1 to get a better idea of what can and does go wrong with them.

They can be very reliable if you keep up with the maintenance.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on how it was previously drove. EX: If you over heat the engine most likely you have to do a head gasket repair.... The driveline is bullet proof as long as it is maintained. The engines are die hard type. They will sit and knock, clang bang etc and still let you drive down the road. However, the more they knock clang, bang the more it will cost to get it fixed... Mine knocks and I have no idea why. It comes and goes.... Most of them do leak fluid. The british can't build an engine to not leak. Its pathetic. Just check it over to make sure your not getting a lemon. I agree, read the stickey on things to look for.
Good luck

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Yea I'm not looking for specifics as the over all consensus of them. I had a freelander when I lived up north so it could handle the snow. Thing was the worst buy in the world. I currently have a 08 silverado 4x4 that's bulletproof but you can't take those to CR unless you want to pay a 40% tax on it.

Figured if I'm going local i might as well go local. ANYTHING can have issues but we all know the old Toyota Corollas can go forever while others have constant issues.

If it's general maintenance (oil changes, filters, bearings, etc) I'm not too worried about it. Google can translate the pages for you. Here is one I was looking at. (Prices are just starting points I'm sure we can neg.)

En TicoCarros se anuncia un :LAND LR3

I'm also looking at this guy:
En TicoCarros se anuncia un :TOYOTA land crusier

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Yota is a diesel, so thats better MPG.
But the Disco is bigger so you can carry more gear and sleep in it.
I would get the Disco.
Not much you need to know about them except they require premium fuel, if you can even get it down there.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Previous owner may have disabled heater by this simple bypass. If so, you won't hear any bubbles of exhaust gas circulating in the coolant (heater core) from a bad head gasket. It is sort of a built in warning system. Might be something to check into before purchase, if bypassed.

Attached Thumbnails A few Q's about Discovery Is-heater-bypass-2.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks. I didn't know it was premium only. That would probably be an issue but I do like the size of it.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well figure on this, if not premium fuel can be had then dont worry about it, but if it can be bought then you need to use only that.