Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

First day on the road .... Not a good day

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012 | 02:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And my cheap scanner shows o2 live data so should a u g
UG does show O2 live but I don't think it shows other important sensors, fuel temp, coolant temp, etc... I'm sure there's more than those 2 that affect fuel mix...

Old 05-19-2012 | 06:12 PM
|
Mudding

And my cheap scanner shows o2 live data so should a u g
Originally Posted by ToddD
Pull the heads and gasket slap it, you can replace those front O2s while the heads are at the shop.
I think that sounds like a good plan ... Well, I will check the O2 and other #s with the gauge and then will blow torch bench test if/when the heads come off ... I am going to pick up the gauge when I goto Portland this upcoming weekend and will stop en route at a auto parts store and get the exhaust coolant test kit Buzz mentioned as well.

Buzz - I will check my OBD2 reader and see if it has this data, but I didn't think so. Either way, my ultra gauge will be coming soon and will do the exhaust test and can go from there.

Old 05-19-2012 | 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

My scanner does not show fuel temp, but does show coolant temp and IAT. I know for sure that UG shows coolant temp, that is the number one reason people buy them!

Old 05-19-2012 | 09:38 PM
Team Owner

The UG will show everything the ECU gives it.
It shows all 4 O2's, live.
It shows fuel trim, TPS%, IAT, road speed, RPM, coolant temp...you name it it shows it.
It also shows you trouble codes and clears them.

Old 05-30-2012 | 04:49 PM
|
Mudding
Default Ultra Guage readings for O2

Planning on starting my head gasket job tomorrow.

While driving to my garage I recorded some footage from my newly acquired Ultra Gauge. Some notes:

1) My rear O2 sensor on bank 1 doesn't move ... seems like its toast as expected.
2) The differences in the front sensors (bank 1 and 2) is substantial. This could be due to the fact that the head gasket is shot on one side and not the other and therefore the engine runs substantially different on each side. Will repost results after the head gasket and valve job.
3) My engine load is 30%+ at idle .... this seems unusual .... Again. will repost after I do the heads ....
4) The relationship between the 2 sensors on bank 2 seems to be working normal to me but again I am no expert.

Anyone else have any comments? Based on my untrained observation I would lean towards putting 2 X O2 sensors on the bank 1 while the heads are off and exhaust is disconnected ... (I ordered two to be ready). Alternatively if my bank 2 is suspect I can put two new ones on both fronts and see how that goes.

O2 sensor ultra guage readout - YouTube

Old 05-30-2012 | 07:51 PM
|
Mudding

As another interest ultra gauge reading - my instant MPG is anywhere between 700 and 2000 MPG!!! (Other than when I am stopped when it is 0 as expected).

And I think the speed data is fine as my MPH readings are fine ... So does this mean the truck thinks its using a lot less fuel than it is? Ironically I am getting about 220 miles to a tank.

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by yoshibond
As another interest ultra gauge reading - my instant MPG is anywhere between 700 and 2000 MPG!!! (Other than when I am stopped when it is 0 as expected).

And I think the speed data is fine as my MPH readings are fine ... So does this mean the truck thinks its using a lot less fuel than it is? Ironically I am getting about 220 miles to a tank.
I have currently driven 240 miles and still have a quarter tank of gas left. (I don't let gauge get below quarter tank.)

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:28 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I have currently driven 240 miles and still have a quarter tank of gas left. (I don't let gauge get below quarter tank.)
220 miles / 22 ish gals (I think?) = 10 MPG ... normal?

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

My load% is 25.5 at 700 rpm at 183F (warmed up for me), auto tranny in park, AC off. When driving and let off gas and coast it drops to maybe 18-19%. 15 mpg on last tank, have seen 17 mpg. Time for those new plug wires....

Old 05-31-2012 | 12:46 AM
|
Mudding

My load% is 25.5 at 700 rpm at 183F (warmed up for me), auto tranny in park, AC off. When driving and let off gas and coast it drops to maybe 18-19%. 15 mpg on last tank, have seen 17 mpg. Time for those new plug wires....
Thanks for the reference MPGs ... but my plug wires are brand new - hope the head gasket job and O2 replacements fix the MPG issue or I wont be able to afford to fix this thing even if it runs well and passes emissions!

Quick Reply: First day on the road .... Not a good day