Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

FJ80 lift question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FJ80 lift question?

Ok so I am considering doing the lift. My question is would I need to upgrade any of my driving/steering parts also? Please note I don't do much off-road driving but I like having the clearance just in case. Getting ready to move back to Colorado from Vegas and love the mountains. Any kind of advise is appreciated. Thanks a million in advance.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Use the search, Luke

As long as your brake lines have enough slack, the 2-ish inches you'll get from the FJ80 swap should come with the same precautions about wheeling as the stock Disco. The skinny pedal is bad. If you abuse it by believing all you need to get over that boulder is a lot more gas, then you're likely to break something. This goes for any off-roading vehicle. I'm new to Landy's, but I used to have a Jeep JK on 35's and stock everything but a budget boost when Snowmageddon hit Maryland and I drove it through 3ft unplowed snow drifts, up sides of freeway off ramps and pulled dozens of idiots in cars(e.g. miata, vw golf, etc.) out of ditches or the middle of the road with no problems. It's not because I had a 500HP Hemi swap; I'm just not a moron.

BTW, there's a big write-up/discussion about the swap that says the amount of lift doesn't require a ton of extra parts. I'll try and find that for you... maybe I'll even use the search function.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Three Wheeling

The discussion is like 15 pages long and getting longer every day. A quick answer like what u just gave is very sufficient. Thanks I'll make sure I use the search next time.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by pimnmike
The discussion is like 15 pages long and getting longer every day. A quick answer like what u just gave is very sufficient. Thanks I'll make sure I use the search next time.
There are some good, random nuggets of info in all those pages and I didn't want to jump into something that sounded too good to be true without researching it to death.

Some people on message boards(even on here) flame anyone immediately who doesn't use the search function and then don't give the short answer to the poster's question even though it's obvious they know it. I mean, at least point them to the right thread or search terms(usually that's why i don't find something).

I still couldn't help busting your ***** a little bit, though.