Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Found my coolant leak! Fix or replace oil cooling joint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:52 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

That Rad looks promising for sure. The shop should without issue be able to braze the nut/adaptor right in place.
Unless there is something majorly wrong with the tank, this is a simple fix.

Just one headsup the (4) O rings for the four oil cooler lines look like they are still in the adaptors. No worries, but you really want some NEW O rings, PART#: ESR1594L. It's a mistake to reuse the old O rings.

Use a little ATF and Motor Oil to lube the O rings, and then put them on the lines first before you install the lines to the adaptors in the Rad. You will be back to HAPPY TOWN in no time!

The following users liked this post:
themdg (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
That Rad looks promising for sure. The shop should without issue be able to braze the nut/adaptor right in place.
Unless there is something majorly wrong with the tank, this is a simple fix.

Just one headsup the (4) O rings for the four oil cooler lines look like they are still in the adaptors. No worries, but you really want some NEW O rings, PART#: ESR1594L. It's a mistake to reuse the old O rings.

Use a little ATF and Motor Oil to lube the O rings, and then put them on the lines first before you install the lines to the adaptors in the Rad. You will be back to HAPPY TOWN in no time!
Thanks! I didn't see those O rings. I'll remove those, get some new ones, lube them up, and use em. We're also replacing coolant hoses, and serpentine belt while we're at it. And this started as a power steering line replacement, so all 3 of those are new, too. We'll see what's leaking after all of that!

Old 04-04-2018, 01:09 PM
TReK

Don't forget a new thermostat and gasket... man it's easy for me to spend your money

themdg (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Don't forget a new thermostat and gasket... man it's easy for me to spend your money
I'll look at where the thermostat is. Just placed an order for the rings... too soon!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Are you kidding? Those are the cheap items. Upper and lower hoses will getcha for darn near a c-note!

themdg (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Are you kidding? Those are the cheap items. Upper and lower hoses will getcha for darn near a c-note!
Nailed it. The two hoses, therm, and gasket were right at $90.

m m m money...

Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Talked to the radiator shop guy. He soaked my radiator in his cleaning magic over night. Found my leak, and 2 more. Says it's solid otherwise, and he can fix the leaks for around $165, and that it'll be ready by tomorrow. Woo!

OverRover (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:02 PM
TReK

That's very GOOD NEWS!!!
As far as cost to repair a Rover you made out very well. Now it's time to make a sacrifice to The Rover Gods!
And IMO it's a bonus being able to retain the OE rad over the cheapa$$ junk that's out there.

themdg (04-05-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok! Here is my report/follow up. I picked up the Radiator yesterday and am very pleased with the result. He fixed the leaks and painted it (to help with oxidation and rust, he says).

Put it back in, connected all the hoses (with new seals where applicable), refitted the fan, installed new belt, refitted the battery (had removed it for clearance), added new fluids, started her up. Took it for a drive for 20 mins to get the engine nice and hot. Looking great! We also changed the oil and installed the new therm while we were at it.

PS...Thanks OverRover for mentioning the O-rings. Two of them were still on there after the repair/paint. I removed all, and installed the new ones.

Only the expected oil leaks now. I see no power steering fluid on the ground (which has been the biggest one for a while) and no coolant on the ground. The shop that helped me diagnose it says it needs a new power steering gearbox, so maybe there will be some PS fluid there...but I'll wait and see.

Glad to have it back on the road. Thanks a ton for all the help and encouragement.

Next step is to go have the power steering and brakes power flushed. Shop says both are contaminated and that the brake fluid has some water in it (explaining the super soft brakes.)

Next project is valve cover gaskets and investigate where that other oil is dripping from.

Here are some photos:

Repaired / Repainted Radiator. Looks like it's in great shape now.

Repaired oil fixture. Notice the old O-ring still in place. Ha. Replaced with new one before install.

Front

Replaced steering lines.

New radiator installed w/ new upper/lower hoses.

New belt installed.

Back together!

Last edited by themdg; 04-11-2018 at 01:16 PM.