Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
That hose is 20mm and good luck finding it (ask me how I know) You want to get hose rated for petroleum products; if you use heater hose, it will eventually dry out and crack again.

I replaced mine a few months ago and it was not all that bad. Unfortunately for me, my hose was cracked near the tank. The hardest part was getting the fuel lines off the pump without breaking them... Best to start hitting them with PB blaster a few days before you plan your project.

Try to plan it where you are almost out of gas so you only have to siphon off <5 gallons. I put duck tape over the openings to keep vapor in and junk out of the tank.

Like I said, the hose is 20mm, so 3/4" is juuuuuust a bit too small. I bought 3' of hose and had to use petroleum jelly on the fittings, heat on the hose, and a lot of elbow grease to get them on.
Hmm ... I used 3/4 and it worked perfectly fine.. I patched it in w/ a hard plastic splice for now till I can do it proper.

A lil bit of vasoline does wonders for gettin on the fittings.

Tried to fill it up, put in 5gal no leaks now, but for some reason it auto-stopped .... that could get annoying

Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Vent Hose?

When you guys experienced a leaking fuel tank vent hose, did you also get an OBD Error code? I'm getting the following: "OBD II code P1496-EVAP system gross leak detected".

I have not crawled under the vehicle to investigate the integrity of this vent hose yet - However, I have noticed a strong fuel smell when the tank is filled (no smell if fuel tank only filled 1/2).

Do these issues all point to a leaking fuel vent hose?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 98Disco1
When you guys experienced a leaking fuel tank vent hose, did you also get an OBD Error code? I'm getting the following: "OBD II code P1496-EVAP system gross leak detected".

I have not crawled under the vehicle to investigate the integrity of this vent hose yet - However, I have noticed a strong fuel smell when the tank is filled (no smell if fuel tank only filled 1/2).

Do these issues all point to a leaking fuel vent hose?
I did not but I don't have the advanced evap that was implemented late 97 and beyond...

It could be the hose, or its possible you have a leak somewhere I'd pull the access panel and see if anything looks suspicious at the top of the tank (unfortunately the vapor line connection isnt visible unless you lower the tank, or drop it altogether.)

Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Drifting

I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago - Everything looked ok back then (however, the error code followed shortly after that repair). Seems strange that the fuel system would consistently lose prime due to a deteriorated vent-line. However, I have heard of LR owners getting this same error code when the fuel cap was loose.....really not looking forward to dropping the tank!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Rock Crawling

You may get lucky... if it happened shortly after putting the new pump in is it possible the seal for the pump housing kinked or got pushed into the tank a bit? ... I'd pull the ring and see what it looks like.

Dunno if you used anything to help get it back in, but a lil bit of petrolium jelly works wonders (and its fuel-safe, it'll dissolve and wont hurt the engine).

Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really not looking forward to dropping the tank!!
It's seriously not that big of a deal. This was my first experience at dropping the tank and I was done with the whole project inside of 2 hours.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Drifting

I appreciate that info/encouragement DiscoBlanco....While it's certainly possible that I have a problem with the pump seal, I don't think that would explain the strong fuel odor inside my garage when the fuel tank in filled, (no odor when fuel tank filled only to 1/2).

I'll report back what I find - However, this may take awhile since I have a laundry-list of repairs and maintenance issues and I need to order the parts.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago - Everything looked ok back then (however, the error code followed shortly after that repair). Seems strange that the fuel system would consistently lose prime due to a deteriorated vent-line. However, I have heard of LR owners getting this same error code when the fuel cap was loose.....really not looking forward to dropping the tank!

Thanks for the reply!
When you replaced your pump did you install a new sealing ring and retaining ring?