Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ham radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ham radio

My dad has got me interested in amateur radio, I figure it could help me out on the trails and it would look good on a resume. Any sussgetions on how and where to mount the radio? I also need to install a CB radio. I think its time for a bigger alternator lol.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would not mount them under the seats, in case you go wading. You'll have more people you can reach nearby on the CB, and more off road friends who will have a CB.

Antennas on roof rack, the boat guys (like West Marine) have all sorts of quick fold down antenna brackets.

Ham radio has more capability and up to world wide range. Just not as many of them out there in the woods. Also, a steep learning curve and test to take, more expensive equipent. CB you can install and use today. Now a Rover with ham radio SSB rig would come in very handy during a real emergency, like the floods and tornadoes, etc. Usually during disasters hams can continue to help authorities with communciations, when everything else is toast. CQDX CQDX....

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling

good point right now I have my amp tucked away under my seat... I've seen the camel trophy CB with it mounted to the roof... maybe I could run the in the glove box, take out the shallow consul cup holders and mount my CB there, and put the ham on the dash or something... That's the other reason I want HAM in my rover, and I than could take part in CERT (community emergency response team) always good to be prepared, plus i think 2 AUX antennas would look kinda cool.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

plus you'll be that much more ready for the zombie apocalypse.

that **** is real..

Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Multiple antennae usually give the local constables and others a second thought - many supervisor and command vehicles are equipped with multiple radio systems. On the negative side, I had a K2500 454 Suburban that went into the Katrina area right after the storm, with four antennae, breezed through check points, but some one in the Lower 9th Ward put a brick in the windshield (while my guys were driving), they were unhappy with all things governmental at the time.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Oh and I do have a bumper sticker that says "zombie response vehicle"

I didn't know they would let you drive through check points...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Mudding

I dont know about the ham radio...but I placed my CB on the back of my console, It still left room for the middle seat in the back and still has room to flip the seats forward.

I ran the wires under the rear floormat to the pass. side under the door trim and out my fire wall to the battery. As for the antennae I have a simple 3 foot magnetic on up on the back of my roof, I ran the coax under the mat again and over to the side put the excess in the taillight access panel and the out the back door.

and as for extra antennas i replaced my broken electric one with a 4 foot metal cb one, and then i have a backup short (6in) plastic radio antenna stuck in one of the xtra holes in m light bar, it looks good with 3 antennas and 2 big driving lights

Attached Thumbnails Ham radio-mail.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

HAM radio on a vehicle? Are you talking shortwave? Alas, shortwave radio is fading into oblivion in the internet age. Better/cheaper/faster on the 'net. Amplification and more so antenna requirements make shortwave impossible on a vehicle.

Assuming, of course, this is what you were referring to.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, but HF rigs can work quite well on vehicles, both military and amatuer. Hams have access to a wide number of frequncies. When you have a disaster, and all phone lines, cell towers, and power are down, their stuff still works. Not everyone has a sat phone. Check out Google Images

Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bradical
I dont know about the ham radio...but I placed my CB on the back of my console, It still left room for the middle seat in the back and still has room to flip the seats forward.

I ran the wires under the rear floormat to the pass. side under the door trim and out my fire wall to the battery. As for the antennae I have a simple 3 foot magnetic on up on the back of my roof, I ran the coax under the mat again and over to the side put the excess in the taillight access panel and the out the back door.

and as for extra antennas i replaced my broken electric one with a 4 foot metal cb one, and then i have a backup short (6in) plastic radio antenna stuck in one of the xtra holes in m light bar, it looks good with 3 antennas and 2 big driving lights
Looks good, I think i may go that route, and I'll throw a small Cb antenna in the oh Sh** bag. My dad has some coax gathering dust so I think I may know what I will be doing this weekend! Its nice being able to hear the truckers give heads up to fellow truckers about the traffic up ahead

Thanks Collin

Quick Reply: Ham radio