Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ham radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W2BCD (Formerly KD2BOF) here! I run a dual band VHF/UHF Yaesu 7900 and also a Cobra CB. HAM is far from a dying art, there is more tech out now for it then ever before, with world wide web linked access repeaters, GPS/APRS, crossband repeat... you could get dizzy. Learning curve isn't nearly what it used to be, especially for just a simple tech lisence. The rules and legal requirements also make sure the air is mostly clear of bull****, unlike CB which is the equivalent of an AOL chat room now'a days... just noise and overpowered broadcasters. Lemme know if you have any questions, I love chattin tech, especially when it involves discos! PS No need for a bigger alternator. CB's put out almost no power compared to what you can do (legally) and its AM. FM and most importantly, the REPEATER access HAM radios give you far outdoes CB in every respect. My entire state (NJ) has a linked repeater system right now that goes from NY to nearly cape may with some gaps down south near the pine barrens. You cna ALWAYS get an answer, help and news updates in emergencies, and with some repeaters can place telephone calls over the net, or text and data to the internet anywhere in the world. And yes, you can ever work satelites with a simple handheld in the righ conditions with a watt of power with a good antenna, that contact will get you hooked for sure! plus you can (not legally unless emergency) also broadcast and/or listen on weather, FMRS, GMRS, Marine, local PD/Fire/EMS channels etc using the same radio in most dual band models. plus with the internet enabled repeaters depending on if its my mornign or afternoon commute, I routinly talked to contacts in Isreal, Australia, England, Japan (lots of those buggers out there haha) and a few other sporatic contacts. if you have control or are given control of the repeater, you can dial in just about anywhere you want, or keep it local, or do it old school (not practical in a mobile rig setup due to antenna/ground plane problems) bounce your own broadcasts out in different methods to make real radio to radio no internet buffer contacts all over.

My CB setup: used a firestick tuneable mounted in a spring and vertical mount drilled into the spare tire carrier.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ed-pics-47165/

My ham setup is an expanded range antenna mounted on a slip over type mound on the hood, looks like a stock radio antenna at glance and to the untrained eye! im using a yaesu 7900 fm vhf/uhf, and i get plenty of contact at 10watts, and i can go upto 40/50 watts if needs be. this radio has a remote mountable faceplate/control panel... the actual radio is mounted vertically on the back of the center consol between the seats so if theres water in the car, it would have to be pretty damn high to ruin the radio, and by that point id have far more to worry about!

https://landroverforums.com/forum/au...your-lr-47204/

Last edited by grandkodiak; 09-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ps this is an AWESOME intro radio, full band, plus commercial and handheld freqs (marine/gmrs/frs so you can talk with ur budies who dont have a ham lisence), very rugged and weatherproof (I take mine out on the ocean in my kayak and in my pack for mountain biking/hiking). Plus its good on the trail as sometimes you need to be talking, and NOT be in the car

Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KI4OIU from Jacksonville here...

I run an old school Icom 706MK2 that's in the glove box.

The head is mounted on the cover of the overhead console above the interior light.

Ham radio-3708_n.jpg

Right now it's got a 2m mag mount on the roof.
The rest of the mobile equip is still mounted on the old explorer that I'm trading up from.

Icom 706MK2 w/Icom Auto tuner with 102 inch whip for HF / NVIS
Kenwood D700 w/Dual Band NMO Mounts for UHF / VHF and Scanners
GPS for the APRS and Packet set

I was big into EMCOMM at one time - Past President of the local SKYWARN association, AEC for the ARES unit, currently President of the local Amateur club.

Now I just want to iron the bugs out of the Disco before I start drilling the holes in the roof.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dad and my uncles were into HAM and CB's back in the days, but never showed me the ropes.

I am just in the works of installing my first Cobra CB, using all Firestik accessories......I am an official newbie...

My ultimate goal is to hopefully get a satellite phone, one of these days.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You'll need a 1KW HF amp in that Rover.
And, two alternators and dual batteries.

You need a bad *** transceiver too

RF-4000

This one is totally bad ***

Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool you could use that to cook popcorn and bring down light aircraft with a good yagi... ha

Old 06-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by collin Barrows
My dad has got me interested in amateur radio, I figure it could help me out on the trails and it would look good on a resume. Any sussgetions on how and where to mount the radio? I also need to install a CB radio. I think its time for a bigger alternator lol.
This is my ham/cb set up in my 96 d1.
Left unit is used for 2m/440 ham (and frs though thats not legal, but...) Right unit
is cb, which i havent found much use for. Unit brackets are mounted to 1x2 wood strip which in turn is anchored to the dash. The foam cushions dampen the movement of the radios on rough trails which the mounts alone do not prevent. Tapped fuse #6 on the main under dash block, a 20amp circuit. At 25 watts max power this is no sweat. I use a mag ​​​​​mount antenna for the ham unit, gutter mount for the cb.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Thought the HAM would be a good addition to the Disco, but got a handheld Baofeng 2m/440 cheap from Amazon, with a mag mount antenna, then moved up to a Yaesu 2m handheld. both fine radios, but I prefer the Yaesu.

my only problem is using it in my smart... no steel for the mag mount antenna!