Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ham radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonRW2007
HAM radio on a vehicle? Are you talking shortwave? Alas, shortwave radio is fading into oblivion in the internet age. Better/cheaper/faster on the 'net. Amplification and more so antenna requirements make shortwave impossible on a vehicle.

Assuming, of course, this is what you were referring to.
yeah all I need is a 2m, hopefully I can find a used HF on the cheap. Ham is kinda under the radar, during the horrible tornadoes in the South East, A regional Ham Call was made. Its still used just not as common.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Depends on what you like. I learned Morse from a ham that could carry on a conversation with you while he copied 35 WPM. I've sat in a Rolls with a Collins KWM2 mounted under the dash. Some hams enjoy hill topping and working as many contacts as possible on a QRP (low power) rig. Others work contests to log into every county in the US. The ARRL antenna manual may still be teaching material at Tech, it's that good. The ham hobby is pretty broad. Repeaters on Stone Mountain and other locations give lots of coverage. With the best 90 watt Motorola repeater money could buy, on about 470 MHz, atop the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta, and with a 9db omni antenna I could talk with my service fleet out to Bimingham, Augusta, and Dublin in the early evening, about half that far at lunch time. Now, with packet radio (we call it Nextel) I can walkie-talki nationwide. So things are better, just like having the RAVE on your smartphone. But sometimes you need the old reliable tools.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Depends on what you like. I learned Morse from a ham that could carry on a conversation with you while he copied 35 WPM. I've sat in a Rolls with a Collins KWM2 mounted under the dash. Some hams enjoy hill topping and working as many contacts as possible on a QRP (low power) rig. Others work contests to log into every county in the US. The ARRL antenna manual may still be teaching material at Tech, it's that good. The ham hobby is pretty broad. Repeaters on Stone Mountain and other locations give lots of coverage. With the best 90 watt Motorola repeater money could buy, on about 470 MHz, atop the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta, and with a 9db omni antenna I could talk with my service fleet out to Bimingham, Augusta, and Dublin in the early evening, about half that far at lunch time. Now, with packet radio (we call it Nextel) I can walkie-talki nationwide. So things are better, just like having the RAVE on your smartphone. But sometimes you need the old reliable tools.
I've done a couple field days and a couple contacts, and the Christmas from Bethlehem GA, My dad and I are going to dahlonega for a CERT emergency sim, the situation is an Ice storm just hit, only 4x4 can travel, and we must supply our own power so my dad and I are going to throw are generator in the back and head for the hills. Theres 2 or 3 repeaters around where I live. Are you into HAM? or do you just happen to know a thing or two about everything?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Was, but got out of the hobby. Older brother is still K4MQF.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Cool, Do you have some of your old equipment that you would like to sell?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Long gone

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
plus you'll be that much more ready for the zombie apocalypse.

that **** is real..
very real but you'd be better off with some roof mounted artillery/flame throwers. im sure our gun savvy guys could suggest more specific equipment.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

IM your gun savvy guy. Trust me. WHat you need is what the army has. There's a mount for dual AA-12 full auto shotguns on a turret where they mount upside down and each one has a double barrell magazine, it's pretty sick. Great for mowing down zombies
like this
Name:  HAMMER_124.jpg
Views: 3432
Size:  125.6 KB

Last edited by turf63; 09-22-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: huge photo
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

highly impersonal. perfect for zombies. wow.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Overlanding

To bring life to an am operator for over 20+ years. I work in EMCOMM, and I love mobile radio. I have just picked up a CB just to round out the radios I want to put in the truck. I will mount an ATAS-120 Mobile HF antenna on the rear hatch, and run my FT-857D Mobile for HF. I have a FT-8800 mounted remotely in the rea on one of the humps where the rear jump seats mount. The head sits on the dash. The antenna is a Diamond clone, OPEK 2m/70cm. The mount is a 3/8 NMO drilled into the roof, and allows me to fold it over. I do SAR, so 4wd helps too, as well as Storm Chasing. I also have a Hi-Q 680 MC-3 Mobile antenna, Haggar the Horrible the wife calls it, and it is the best 80-6m Mobile antenna out there, but it is HUGE. Marine Corps HF Antenna. Weighs in at about 60 Lbs with mount. Any other hams out there Roving???

Spin

Quick Reply: Ham radio