Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Head gasket.. Please help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Head gasket.. Please help....

I bought a 96 Disco about a month ago. It was running a little hot at times. The coolant cap was cracked so I thought it was just loosing coolant from there. I ordered a new cap and it ran great for about 1000 miles.

I noticed the temp running a little higher than it had been so I checked the coolant and it was slightly low so I added a little and it was great for about a week. I made a 60 mile trip and on the way home all HELL broke loose.

The temp was fine (I had been keeping a close eye due to the problems). I started to notice a smokey smell, so I looked at the temp and it was fine. An old smokey truck had just passed me so I assumed that was what I was smelling. Then all the sudden my son in the back seat said, "where's all this smoke coming from?!!?" I looked back it the whole thing was starting to smoke up. I glanced at the temp as I took an exit, it was still fine. I pulled of the road immediately and before I could turn off the engine, it died. Literally DIED! sigh...

OK.. so... I popped the hood and the first thing that caught my eye was that the PCV hose was busted. (well, first thing besides all the smoke!!!) Then I noticed coolant all over everything. Then I saw that a hose to the heater core was busted.. well exploded would better describe it. So I'm thinking OK... I stopped immediately, the disco never showed HOT, and I have a 2 busted hoses. Easy fix... NOT!

I got a ride to autozone, replaced both hoses. (not with exact hose, but with same size hose cut to fit. At least this should get me going, right? NOT!) So I get in and turn on the ignition and it starts right up!!! But... it doesn't sound quite right.

I get out and check my handy work to make sure there are no leaks and see about this new engine sound. First thing I notice is that the top radiator hose is leaking at the clamp. I tighten that and it stops. Check the PCV hose and it appears to be open and doing fine. Look at the heater core hose and it isn't leaking. Why is it running so rough and sound like crap???

I look down under the heater hose at the exhaust, coolant is bubbling out where it's bolted to (exhaust?? manifold???)

So, blown head gasket??? Why? how??

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm very desperate. I recently lost my job and things are pretty desperate. I need a running vehicle to find work before getting evicted. I'm a single mom. I know, sob story, right? I'm not asking for any kind of hand out, just advice. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (even though I'm a woman LOL!). If it is the head gasket, can I do this myself? Can anybody send me step by step instructions, maybe even with pics? If anybody out there lives close to texarkana, could you help me do it. I don't have much cash, but I could clean your house? A years worth of free oil changes? ETC...

I'm sure I could be helpful and repay you in some way. Please guys don't get nasty. I'm not offering anything but to try and pay my own way, to repay the help. No sexual connotations meant by that!!!
Thanks for all your help...
Carol

Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 AM
2nd Gear

I did pull the dipstick and my nice new oil from the oil change I got about a week ago looked muddy so I'm thinking coolant in oil also....

Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Mudding

let me guess that short hose over the valley exploded? it has happend to me twice on 2 difrent disco's

i now always carry a spare

the oil looked muddy? what is the color and consistency?

Old 06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a blown headgasket and it is over pressurizing the cooling system as well as leaking into the crank case.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news is you have enough definate symtoms to know for sure its the hg's bad news is doing it yourself is gonna still cost you a bit. people figure $500 on a do it yourself fix give or take.
Gasket kit $200
Machineing heads $180
Fluids $100