Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

No problemo Buzz. Maybe someday toss up a pictorial on rebuilding a ZF.

Tom I don't use silicone anywhere on my motors. The first time I dropped the pan on my truck and subsequently on several others I found way too much in the pickup screens. It's mostly due to the amount of it slathered on but it just doesn't last. There are plenty of better sealants that suit sealing duty on a motor.

Buzz when you get to your pushrods store them in a box with punched holes, don't use a shoebox, won't work. And measure them with your eyeballs. If there isn't a nice round ball on either end, looks more like a mushrooms top then they are worn. See if you can remove just one lifter from it's bore through the top. If not then they are mushroomed at the face. If mushroomed the only way to remove is with the cam out. If mushroomed its more than likely your cam is not healthy as well. It will be flat instead of peaked. You have a high mileage motor. Let me know what you find.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be hesitant to use any strong sealant between the plenum and intake manifold, even though the two rarely need to be separated. I used RTV once and it took all amounts of beating and a hydraulic press to separate the two.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I only use the ultra black or ultra gray works waay better then regular rtv, and always let it cure minimum 24 hours, never have leak problems or crap in the pickup, though I have taken apart engines that did when I was a dealer tech, brand spanken new rebuilds burned up with a clogged oil pickup, and when I asked the mechanic about how long he let the orange rtv silicone cure before adding oil and fire up it was "cure I thought it dried in like 10 minutes we put the tins on and installed the engine and fired it up so maybe a few hours "

when I did the intake set a few months back I thin coated intake gasket, and plenum to intake, plenum came off pretty easy, intake took some careful prybaring

getting proper results from any sealant is a matter of knowing how to use it and how much to use

Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I suspect I'll find lots of things that need attention. I'm the 6th or 7th owner. Obviously from photos the PCV system was plugged up at some point. At least if a cam is needed I have experience getting the radiator out having done that a half dozen times. And I'll keep wear to fit parts arranged so matching parts go back.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
thought that was for the disco2 with plastic plenum
It is a D2 gasket, but the plenum isn't plastic on a D2, it's aluminum.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I let that slide jafir, the plastic plenum. Man do I hate that plenum......

Buzz I'm in the same boat, about six folks leased it and last two owned it. I basically rescued it from the junk yard so there isn't anything I haven't practiced on. It's been my only vehicle for 5 years (talk about cheap). At 165k it's getting tired (and so am I). I have plans that I'll be in another Rover soon and I'm not sure what I'll do with this one. My Disco days are coming to a close. By the fall I'll be in another city and company (already signed the NDA) and I'll need to appear a wee bit more polished to match the responsibility and income level.

I recently had an opportunity to buy a black on black Callaway P38 and it's calling my name. Mind you I soon could afford a 2013 Range Rover but like you said so unabashedly, cheap. I can leave the Callaway in long term parking without it being molested. If that disappears I'll get a beige 05 LR3, nobody would touch that one for sure.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Your new position may also limit time available for Rover repairs.

As for looking better, I was a project manager for an electrical contractor (350 IBEW fellows to keep busy), the owner decided he wanted a better look than the assorted personal pickups the managers drove to job sites, so he stopped by a Ford dealer and arranged for 19 Expeditions to be delivered to our office. I got a blue one. For some firms, image is high on the list. Sorry you have to move.

I also spent 12 years on the road, flying three times a week to various offices in the US and Canada, or hitting the local states by car. Very familiar with long term parking and Murphy's Law page 145, "the well pump shall cease pumping when you are at least three flight connections from home." Being a road warrior is glamorous the first three weeks. Here in Savannah most everything routes to Atlanta, so the travelling guys all see each other on the 6:30 AM flight Monday, and we come back on Friday afternoon with the tourists and an amazing quantity of golf clubs.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-04-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the plenum to adapter and adapter to intake you should be using Loctite 518 anaerobic sealer. It sets with the absence of oxygen and is designed for use where 2 machined surfaces mate. Napa sells the equivalent as Permatex Anaerobic sealer, as the "Loctite" brand is the industrial line and is not packaged for them. It's about $13 for a good sized tube.

For the valley pan end seals and around the coolant ports on the intake and head I use ThreeBond, a generic product for use between motorcycle case halves where no gasket is used from the factory. It's equivalents are Hondabond, Kawasakibond, Yamabond, etc. It is impervious to oil, fuel, coolant, etc. I use Ultra Gray for the oil pan, but only a very thin bead and use dowel pins to put the pan up without smearing it. I like the gray over the black since I can see an oil leak on the gray if there is one.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Session 2

Good idea on the Permatex.

Spent time today removing hoses and plugs, found that most of my hoses looked OK from visible side but all have morphed into the MayPop brand (may pop any minute). PO must have put plenty of stop leak in it, the heater hose fitting has quite a bit. Got a few intake bolts out before stopping, they were more than finger tight, which is good. I may have to break down and buy a set of crows feet sockets.

This is gonna take a while at 60-90 minutes a day. Maybe I can get a slow mo camera. But, the pix of old stuff is representative of what others may find when opening their beastie up for minor repairs. Even some of the electric plugs felt brittle / crumbly.

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way-p1050966.jpg   Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way-p1050967.jpg   Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way-p1050968.jpg   Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way-p1050972.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Session 3

Rained out. Got the fan belt off, would have been easier with my long handle 15mm wrench which is communing with the other sock in places unknown. The alternator seems frozen on mounts, even though it was not hard for me to change two years ago. Tommorrow is another day.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way