Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

help me choose some springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose some springs

As of right now the vehicle is bone stock with no accessories. I plan to fit an arb bumper with winch/Baja roof rack with the usual accessories/rock sliders. I will be fitting 235/85/16 tires unless I can go bigger. As for shocks I will trying out some terra firm a big bores. I was thinking about some one 763s but it says its only a 1.5 lift. What one springs will give me true 2 inch lift? Or should I Consider another brand(terra firma, rovertym). I also aware that I may have to some trimming

Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TF has a guide within their brochure for spring recommendation. I am also considering the big bore shocks that they offer, but am also on the fence on the spring selection. Also, they do warn of issues when using a heavier spring, when not loaded. There are many posts on other forums of individuals using the Medium springs. Back in the days, I installed OME soft front and med rear, which did net over 2" due to the original sagging springs. All I had then was a roof rack, bigger tires, loaded with two kids and my wife, and "stuff". It was a good combination, which was very street-able and good for easy-mild off road.

I too will be upgrading; combo winch and winch bumper, roof rack, sliders, rear bumper, steering and tank protection. I am considering HD springs all around, but am concerned about driving issues prior to the additional upgrades. I am planning on buying MED springs first, then when the upgrades come along, upgrade to the appropriate springs if needed.

There are soooooo many options these days, it is making my head spin....I might just go back to OME since their warranty is 3 years, compared to the others at 2 years (except for Bilsteins).

Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, how much of a lift do you want? With OME's, you can easily hit a 3" lift using 751 front coils and 763 rear coils. As for the shocks, I would still suggest the Sport shock, unless you want to spend the big bucks and step up to the Bilstein 7100's.
Until T.F. has more of a track record, I am not promoting them. By the way the was a new thread on here a couple days ago from someone with a year old set of T.F.'s and all his problems and evential replacements to another brand.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read post by thehun: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-shocks-42548/

He has the "All Terrain" shock which I would avoid.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Drifting

Biggest lift I wanna do is a 3 due to budget and snowball effect of 4±. I would like to use a tire bigger then a 235/85/16 though. The primary use for the vehicle will be off road so I don't wanna go too stiff/heavy and mess with articulation. I'm thinking of maybe doing some old man emu light/medium and putting some 2 inch spacers under them. I read the thread about the terra firm a shocks and personally I believe **** happens could have been a bad batch. I'm al so considering some Rancho 9000. What doesbarb bull bar weigh?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant go wrong with OME medium duty setup. I had the 3" lift (763 and 764) worked very well on and off road. Im a fan of Bilstein or Fox shocks myself but they are pricey so it depends on youe budget.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes you can, go wrong, with a medium duty suspension, taken off the road with a bumper, winch and all the rest of the stuff you would start sagging pretty quickly.
The 751 front coils along with 762's will give you a lot more control and around a 2.5" lift with not other changes needed other then new steel brake lines to replace your old warn out rubber lines that are probably about to fail.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Drifting
Angry

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Yes you can, go wrong, with a medium duty suspension, taken off the road with a bumper, winch and all the rest of the stuff you would start sagging pretty quickly.
The 751 front coils along with 762's will give you a lot more control and around a 2.5" lift with not other changes needed other then new steel brake lines to replace your old warn out rubber lines that are probably about to fail.
Will those springs be soft enough to give me decent articulation?