Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HELP!!! New to me, electric problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

OK, first things first. Download the workshop manual and the electrical trouble shooting manual here...

(corrected link)
https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...0Discovery%20I

wmlj970e.pdf = workshop manual....aka: RAVE. The bible for these trucks

etlj970x.pdf - electrical troubleshooting manual.

hl01561n.pdf - owner's manual... highly optional

For the window ECU.... (even a one-armed man can do it)

Regulator video...

Start with these and let us know how you do.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 02-03-2016 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dwjwii (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot download the pdf's. it wants me to sign up or something. Is there a separate site or a PM with the PDF's?

Correction, I found the workshop manual, and I have the owners manual, I cannot find the electrical troubleshooting though.

Last edited by dwjwii; 01-31-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dwjwii
I cannot find the electrical troubleshooting though.
You can go here:
land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte
Save the zip file from link that looks like this:
Land Rover Rave Service Manual large file warning 590MB
Takes awhile to download, it was longer than 30 minutes on my DSL connection. PDF "rave-lr" is in there and probably all you need. Save/Move on your drive where your other manuals reside. Open up, go to your vehicle type and you should be able to find the manuals you may desire.

There is info the other included manuals you may find helpful.

The following users liked this post:
dwjwii (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Drifting

So I downloaded the manuals and pulled the ECU. Soldered 3 contacts, put it in, turned on the accessories, windows worked. Turn off the accessories, disconnected the ECU to put it in properly, and a spark flew. I looked it and couldn't see anything, although, it is relatively dark in the garage. Anyways, put it in, turn the accessories on again, no windows worked. Turned off, turned on, back ones work. What the Hell?!?! So now the rear windows work, but when I push the button for the front ones, I can hear the relay firing under the glove box, but nothing else... should I pull the ECU and check it again? What's my next step?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Check all your fuses. Were did the spark come from? ECU? Harness?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aemnky606
Check all your fuses. Were did the spark come from? ECU? Harness?
It sparked from the ECU, but like I said, when I looked at it, all seemed well. The fuses are all good. I've gone through about 12 testing my wiper motor. It has a short somewhere. But the fuses are good, and I hear the relay firing. :/ thoroughly stuck.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Alright guys, I pulled the ECU again tonight and looked it over. Everything was in order, no bad solder spots, everything is still connect, and there are no burn marks... Still no windows in the front, but again, I can hear the relays doing their job. What's my next step?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I think it's time to get the multimeter out. If you still have the center console out, I would double-check my wiring from the motor connectors (at the front doors) to the ECM, if it were me. Maybe you've done that already. Not uncommon for front door wires to crack at the door jamb due to years of repeated bending, especially on the drivers' side. Check continuity to ground too, because it sounds like something could be shorted ...ohms at motor (I'm not sure what it should be, but you should be able to google that and get some number that will get you reasonably close). Wiggle the wires, you might test a wire that is 'good' (or bad) but reverts to a different state when the door closes if the wires are broken internally or shorted somewhere. It sounds like there could possibly be a bad connection or solder joint, piece of crap in the window ecm at the connector or solder joints. I guess I would look the board over again very carefully, maybe touch the joints with your soldering iron ...sometimes a joint can be bad but be very difficult to detect. If you haven't done so already, tap on the window regulator motors a few times with something like a steel bar or small ball pein hammer. Not so much that you would damage it, but enough to jarr the internals around a little. Sometimes motors can get 'stuck' if they haven't been used in a while and a good tap with something with resonance, will loosen things up inside.

Are the arm rollers still in place? They are plastic and tend to break too. I don't know if they are commonly available, I had to make a couple for my Disco.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Mark G; 02-03-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Another thing ....someone hinted at this before: As frustrating as it can be sometimes, try not to let these little things wig you out. ****ling issues are par for the course with Land Rovers of these early generations and you're just going to have to deal with them one at a time. It sounds like you are doing a pretty good job at it. Windows not working properly are going to be just the tip of the iceburg I suspect. I can think of a ton of other common issues most owners have to deal with that are just waiting for you to discover them. If you let these things 'break' you, you are going to become disenfranchised pretty quick. Disco's have tremendous capabilities, have old-school robustness ....and can be a blast to drive/own. But you're going to need a fair amount of patience ...and some spare cash too, to get the most out of it. These guys on this board can be very helpful.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Multimeter is the way to go. Verify power at the connector to the window motor.