Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Installing puddlelights in front doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:03 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

It looks like the light you want to install has two conductors easiest would be to run a pair of 18 ga. 2 conductor speaker wire into the front doors and connect the light on that end, then on the other end run it up the A pillar to the overhead dome light 2 conductor connector and you are done. As for the rear door run a pair of 18 ga. 2 conductor speaker wire into the rear door and connect the light on that end then on the other end run it to the rear dome light located by the rear door jamb. You will need to run the 2 wires the (+) positive is timed and will turn off if the door is left open for more than 10 minutes I think and controlled by the module behind the fuse box under the dash by the steering wheel and the (-) negative is a combined trigger from the remaining doors.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

At last the weekend has arrived and I can return to the site. I missed the images as I was looking at this thread via an old phone browser that didn't properly load the images. Now that I see the images I am going to echo the directions from Icannap1, should be very straight forward.

I would like to see these in action when your install in complete.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:33 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Followed the instructions about wiring them into the dome light. Ran the wires down the A pillar and into the door. They work great! Pulled these off of a Range Rover Classic.

Puddle light is actually bright enough to be useful at night.

Drivers and passenger door all work and light up when opened. Haven't figured out how to wire the rear cargo door. Not sure if any ever had one there but there but there is the same blanking plug and the light fit right in. Planning on wiring this up to the rear dome light when I pull the headliner in the future.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Usefull help, Saimein !

Now I’ have -finally- tile to install the puddlelights, but just one problem :
All lights and switches are DC, what means to respect the polarity (+ and -) from all the lights. So my puddle lights have a Purple-White and a Purple-Orang wire. Which of them both connects with te Purple-Brown wire and which with the Purple-Blue wire of the front doom courtesy light ?
I think it really matters !

Greetings,
Pierrodisco

Old 09-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on the install, looks slick.
Good light coverage at night?

Old 09-01-2020, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes all vehicle wiring is DC. If the puddle lights are regular bulbs then the polarity will not matter as it is just a coil element if it is led then it will matter but if you connect it wrong it will not harm anything it will just not light up if connected in the correct polarity it will light up.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Question Polarity when changing “classic” bulbs in LED’s

Hello,

Thus no problem at all if connecting puddle lights with “classic” bulbs. Looks fine!
But no problems about the increase of total amount of wattage for the fuse ?
And how can you “masure” the polarity on the fittings/connectors in case of changing the classic bulbs by LED’s ?

Greetings,
Pierrodisco

Old 09-10-2020, 01:54 PM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

curious as to WHY you wanted to do this ? lots of rain in your neighborhood ? bad gutter draining in your city ? or just an idea to improve on the original ?

Old 03-04-2021, 06:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Hello Disco96sd,

indeed !

Just as idea to improve on the iriginal !

Much greetings,
PierroDisco

Old 08-22-2021, 07:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Smile Disco 1 Connecting rear door puddle light to cargo light

Originally Posted by Saimein

Followed the instructions about wiring them into the dome light. Ran the wires down the A pillar and into the door. They work great! Pulled these off of a Range Rover Classic.

Puddle light is actually bright enough to be useful at night.

Drivers and passenger door all work and light up when opened. Haven't figured out how to wire the rear cargo door. Not sure if any ever had one there but there but there is the same blanking plug and the light fit right in. Planning on wiring this up to the rear dome light when I pull the headliner in the future.
Hello,

For replacing the small broken retaining spring in the tailgate lock, the inner panel of the rear door was taken completely off. So ‘I decided to place the red puddle light in the rear door. I connected both wires not to the rear dome but to the cargo light (much easier because much nearer !). The hole after both grummets in rear door and quarter panel can be passed in one time, using a small soft plastic tube on which you firmly tapes both conducts.
Real upgrading !