Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Intermittent No Crank Fix 96 Disco Tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent No Crank Fix 96 Disco Tip

Did this to simplify the starting system, but it seems to have solved the occasional no crank and slow crank issue.

Bypass the factory alarm in the starting system.
Connector C274 on the alarm module: short pins 10 and eleven by using a jumper wire carefully connected between the wires feeding those pins.

This eliminates the alarm from the ground path of Starter Solenoid Relay K137, pin 86. This part of the ground path is AFTER the Park/Neutral switch in the auto transmission.

I did this as an attempt to carefuly determine whether I needed a new starter, which I don't as it now cranks well all the time.

This idea came from the electrical troubleshooting manual where it said that in NAS vehicles without an alarm, those pins were shorted.
If there is no alarm not sure why you would have that connector, but the idea worked!
KRMusher

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
1st Gear
Default no crank, alarm bypass

Hi, My disco has been periodically not cranking at all when it's hot. Have you had any issues with yours since you bypassed the alarm?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

mGuy395 - Disco with distributor and plug wires at the front - check ignition amplifier that drives the coil. If newer Disco with coils at back of block, no distributor, they have a crank shaft position sensor, when it gets hot it kills spark. Next time "it" decides to "challenge your vocabulary" plug in a spare spark plug, and lay on mainfold, if no spark when cranking it is usually the CKP. You can pour cold water on it to speed up the return to normal.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mGuy395
Hi, My disco has been periodically not cranking at all when it's hot. Have you had any issues with yours since you bypassed the alarm?
Have had no trouble with bypassing the alsarm, it cranks like a champ for almost a month.

Savannah's crank sensor check is good. It was lower on my list since this sensor had been replaced about 25k miles ago.

Make sure battery is Disco speced at about 750 CCA.

Was going to replace the starter with URO brand at Rockauto.com, but its enough extra work on the Disco that I decided to troubleshoot as carefully as I could.

Also might want to check the starter soelenoid relay I cited in my post and any connections to starter, solenoid, ground etc.

Good Luck!
KRMusher

Old 12-31-2014, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default reading diagrams

I want to bypass my alarm , but I can't read the electrical diagrams. Does anyone have the Haynes manual pics labeled?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by KRMusher
Bypass the factory alarm in the starting system.
Connector C274 on the alarm module: short pins 10 and eleven by using a jumper wire carefully connected between the wires feeding those pins.

This eliminates the alarm from the ground path of Starter Solenoid Relay K137, pin 86. This part of the ground path is AFTER the Park/Neutral switch in the auto transmission. ....
Is this the same as cutting and splicing together the two black wires with orange/red stripes leading from the smaller of the two connectors on back of alarm?