Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaking Fuel..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 04:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Leaking Fuel.. FIXED!!

leaking fuel on the drivers side at the front corner of the tank (??) but only when the fuel line is pressurized. and of course it starts hard until the line is full. The drawings I have found show the fuel lines go down the passenger side of the frame. Hven't crawled under yet as I am not too good of shape getting down and up on the floor, and I messed up my back last week lifting a trailer onto the hitch. I hate getting old. Anyone have a guess as to where it might be leaking? maybe at the pump on top of the tank? Pretty sure there is an access hole in the flor for that.

It drips until the line pressure goes low so I am guessing it is either the pressure line, or the return line(?) open to suggestons. it has been parked for about 9 months I smell gas when I park and shut off the truck and get out, noticable drip back by the rear wheel (back side rear)

Last edited by jimvw57; 04-29-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You’re right to say that the fuel lines should exit the top of the tank and go into the passenger side of the truck. The wiring loom for the pump does run to the drivers side and is positioned right in line with the entry and exit lines. There could be a leak in the lines and the wiring loom is just a conduit to carry to drips over to the passenger side.

And yes, fuel pump and lines are accessed through the trunk floor/carpet.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench

It would be easier on my back to check through the floor before rolling around on the street. I'll try that first. I didn't realize the wiring went out the drivers side. I did replace a pump on my '98 D1 about 10 years ago. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe I should poke a hole and let it run back in the tank (just kidding)

Last edited by jimvw57; 04-26-2023 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Ran across a pile of pictures with the body removed on a D1, Looking at the pictures #9-10 (especially #10) I can see what I will probably be up against. I used plastic lines on my HHR and used some metal to plastic fittings which worked perfectly. I am thinking this is how I will try to fix this. I may do a little trimming on the floor to get some acess, then seal it back up afterwards. I'll try to take pictures...

Pictures in post #35

https://landroverforums.com/forum/bu...e4/#post185191

Old 04-28-2023, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Step 1:
Check the top of the fuel pump for leaks

Of course the screws holding the plate to the floor were completely corroded. Luckily they are screwed into plastic so they did come out with a bit of chisle work and sole locking pliers.

turned on the key and gs started sdripping, bu the pump area stayed dry. so next we go underneath...

Old 04-28-2023, 12:39 PM
Winching
Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

The vent hose is attached at the top of the tank and is accessed from the fuel pump hatch and the fuel filler hose attaches to the side of the tank - you can easily tell if it is leaking from the fuel filler hose - might be the vent hose on the top of the tank leaking and it drips down the tank - that would likely only really happen if the tank is on the full side

Old 04-29-2023, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench

I have had that happen on my other truck, Only leaked when it was filling or completely full.
This one is currently at 3/4 -1/2 tank and leaks as soon as the ignition is turned on (fuel pump runs) then leaks for a while after it is shut off (fuel pressure drains down) it also cranks for a while before starting (has to build up pressure) I was ust confused since the lines are on the passenger side, and the drips are on the drivers side.My guess is it is spraying on that side of the tank and running down. Thanks for your comments.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Got truck up and tire off, of course brakes are worn out, (figures) and just as I started working on getting the line where I can cut it, it starts raining!! so maybe later, or tomorrow.
Checked with local parts places and no pads until Monday...

Looks like I may have to go farther forward than I wanted to and replace the fuel filter too. Not a bad idea anyhow but I thought I could sneak in behind it and save a little time. Guess not!!

***update***
After a few showers, one with a touch of sleet, I was able to get back at this critter. Going farther forward allowed more room to cut the line and install a new inline filter. I was then able to remove the pressure line from the pump, and feed the plastic line in from the tank side and out along the wheel well/frame areaand down past where the old filter (still) is, to where the new filter is, roughly about where the front seat is. Attached the hose with the full circle high pressure clamps, and went back up to the rear floor. I was able to route the new line alongside the old one and tied it down. I added a rubber fuel injector hose between the plastic line and the fuel pump outlet, again with high pressure clamps and tightened everything down.

I had plenty of help from my son and my Grandson (9) who fit under there easily and helped run the new lines. NO LEAKS and everything is back together. Next comes rear pads as they are quite worn... But that is another story.

I am sure I will be paying for this tonight and tomorrowin back pain but at least it is done! I'll try to add pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by jimvw57; 04-29-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench

OK!!! rear brakes are done!! Luckily they are easy to slide in once they get all cleaned up. New pins and anti rattle clips. Gonna really be paying for this tonight with back pain. those tires aren't light!! Still need to put the fuel pump cover in place and put the carpet back down, but that can happen tomorrow. need some new screws for the cover anyhow. I don't have any that small on hand. Now time for some ice and rest.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (05-01-2023)