Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lug nut madness- get these off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lug nut madness- get these off!!

Silly wheel cap covers- nothing but trouble!

Had no idea that the Trek wheels were silver on the back side! 1 gallon of simple green and pressure washer- making progress.
A long way to go!
These bastards were frozen on. Took a long time, as I didn’t want to put all my body weight on the rear door! I almost had to remove the spare bracket from inside the truck and take the entire assembly off. Patience and some luck and they finally budged. Cleaned all the threads and put anti seize on before reattaching. The spare is 235/85/16. Thinking of doing the entire truck in that size.
Putting 23 solid lugs on and throwing out all the others. The trucks should have all
Come with this style to begin with!!

Not a single lug nut was reusable after 1/2 day getting the old ones off. Swollen, crushed and plain old nasty!! Drilled the caps, filled with PB blaster and let soak for a few days. Full extension bar and all
my weight- it was a bitch. Glad that none of the studs were broken and cross threaded.

Opted for solid lugs and they snugged into the socket really well. Super happy with the result! Go check yours and make sure they all come off- would not have been able to do this on the side of road- never ever.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

That is a good tire size, not sure if there are rub issues on discovery but it was the standard size for defender up until end of production. Very nice on the wheel cleaning, never see them that spotless!

If you run into the lug nut situation like that again on another car, since they're usually never reusable like you found, best to just hammer on the 1 1/16 socket onto each one and breaker bar them off, hammer out the lug and go again. Did that when fitting steel wheels and nuts to a disco.