Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Messed up my brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Messed up my brakes!!

So I was in a rush yesterday and really needed new brake pads. I could not get the calipers to release the pads so I separated the calipers to release them. I did not read the manual ahead of time where it say DO NOT SEPARATE CALIPER. Now I do not have have pressure to the brakes. It is breaking as if it has no fluid but there is fluid. Any Ideas?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you bust a seal or crack the hard line? Have a buddy pump the brakes and look for leaks around the caliper. If no leaks are evident, i would start by bleeding the system.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've introduced mass amounts of air to the system. The only way you are going to get the pedal back is to bleed the brake system repeatedly until all air has been pushed out of the lines and calipers. This is probably not going to be easy, if you couldn't get the calipers to retract you probably have issues with them.

The calipers on these can be tricky. The bleeder and feed line are on the same side. You probably noticed the 2 seals between the caliper halves? They seal the crossover ports at the top and bottom. If one of these ports get gunk in it you can bleed the caliper all day and get nowhere, they both must be clear. Say the upper one is restricted, you can bleed the caliper but the fluid in the outer half doesn't push the air out because the upper port is blocked. You may also have gunk settled in the piston bores which will keep the pistons from going back in easily.

I had all these issues when I did my brakes. Rebuilding all 4 calipers corrected all the issues. Purchase the kits with the pistons, cheaper than buying everything separate. I got my parts from Rovahfarm, cost me about $160 to rebulid all 4 calipers and new pads all around.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

British Pacific used to be a good source for caliper rebuild kits, too. Unfortunately they were just absorbed by Atlantic British and it doesn't look like AB has anywhere near the selection BP had.
It sounds as if your pistons are seized, most likely due to corrosion. You'll want to do a total caliper rebuild. This will include new pistons, wiper rings, sealing rings, and metal retaining rings. You should also try to find the channel seals that go between the caliper halves. You may have a really hard time finding these because LR doesn't want you splitting the calipers. Try Trevor at RovahFarm or PT Schram. Be aware the front and rear take different size pistons and channel seals, but share all the rings.
Make sure you clean the inside of the calipers very well. Blow compressed air through the channels.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Or you can buy rebuilt calipers from AutoZone, thats what I did, I replaced all four.
$75/ea for the fronts, $50/ea for the rears, lifetime warranty.
If you go that route make sure you keep all of the hardware and bleeder screws etc from your old calipers.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
You've introduced mass amounts of air to the system. The only way you are going to get the pedal back is to bleed the brake system repeatedly until all air has been pushed out of the lines and calipers. This is probably not going to be easy, if you couldn't get the calipers to retract you probably have issues with them.
X2 with a caveat; the pistons won't retract easily with a crap ton of brake dust, dirt and corrosion buildup on the exposed pistons without serious grunt work and seal destruction. Your jamming a larger diameter into a smaller diameter. Next time you attempt to do your brakes spray the pistons with bolt buster juice, let sit, stiff tooth brush the exposed portion of pistons clean and use a C clamp or Wonder bar along with old pad to stuff pistons back home. You run high risk of compromising piston seals but it's doable at least a couple of times. After that, follow what's been said, rebuild them.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
4wd Low

Thanks everybody, I am going to try and bleed the system today. I actually did look at the seals in between and cleaned them. The pistons weren't seized as when I released the pressure from the fluid they pushed in to place. They have begun to set but when wanting to brake quickly it won't. I will update today what happens.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing a few weeks ago when I changed the bearings. Yep. I did the No No... but I HAD to. Just bled the system several times, added more fluid, good to go.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by tooltech
I did the same thing a few weeks ago when I changed the bearings. Yep. I did the No No... but I HAD to. Just bled the system several times, added more fluid, good to go.
Exactly. Don't think of it as a bleed, think of it as a brake line flush and check it off the long term maintenance list!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 PM
4wd Low

So I as stated above essentially did a full flush, and while I was doing the front I did the back. It took about an hour and half haha, but everything works great now. Thanks a lot for all of your quick responses and input.